|'The Wizards' Guild is for the more subtle people of the disc. We achieve dominance (without fail) by use of the quickness of our thoughts and the judicious application of some of the myriad spells at our disposal. And, unlike an uncouth barbarian warrior, if the situation demands violence, we don't endanger ourselves by taking part in the fray, we blow the bastards up from a distance.'|
- 1 Institutions
- 2 Joining
- 3 Orders
- 4 Commands
- 5 Historical documents
- 6 See Also
- 7 External links
- 8 Notes
Unseen University (Ankh-Morpork)
Academy of Artificers (Sto Lat)
Illusionary Institute of Learning (Djelibeybi)
Bes Pelargic L-space Bubble (Bes Pelargic)
House of Magic (Creel Springs)
Student Wizards are recruited by Ragnel, who may be summoned by requesting to 'join' outside the student lounge of the Unseen University, or by Headmaster Cutwell inside the Sto Lat Artificers' Academy.
The Wizards' Guild consists of 8 unique skillsets spread over 19 orders - the eight orders of the Unseen University, their eight Hedge equivalents and three Illusionary Institute of Learning (Klatchian) orders (not currently joinable).
Hedge orders clone the primaries of their respective Unseen University equivalent, while the Klatchian Illusionary Institute of Learning orders all have the same primaries as Mrs. Widgery's Lodgers (or Red) - as a result there are only eight orders with 'unique' primaries.
- The Ancient and Truly Original Sages of the Unbroken Circle, or White Wizards, specialize in elemental magic.
- The Hoodwinkers, or Blue Wizards, are master illusionists and conjurors.
- Mrs. Widgery's Lodgers, or Red Wizards, are a well-rounded order with no particular specialization. The Klatchian IIL also have these primaries.
- The Ancient and Truly Original Brothers of the Silver Star, or Brown Wizards, excel at crafting and manipulating magical items.
- The Venerable Council of Seers, or Green Wizards, are masters of Lore and excel at acquiring knowledge.
- The Sages of the Unknown Shadow, or Black Wizards, are powerful summoners of demons.
- The Order of Midnight, or Grey Wizards, are necromancers who harness the power of the undead.
- The Last Order, or Octarine Wizards, are the brawlers of wizardry, and the only order of Playerkillers.
Below is a table comparing each order's primaries.
The following are the commands available exclusively to members of this guild:
- Dionysus' Handbook for Wizard Tutors - I believe this is now out of print, and even if it weren't, it's horribly outdated.
- Discworld MUD official website: the Wizards' Guild
- The Spellcheck Project
- Sekiri's Home of Wizardry (Mirror)
- Wizards & Artificers - The Love of Magical Wood
- This command can actually be learned by everyone but it is only of use to witches and wizards.