The witches' guild is a gathering of crones and hags, biddies and busybodies, pagans and practitioners of the occult. Members of this guild are well versed in occult spellcasting, the preparation of potions, and the mysterious and womanly art of 'headology'.
You might be redirected here if you are looking for the list of NPC witches. You might also be interested in the list of witch cottages.
Joining the guild
Prospective witches may join the guild by asking Granny Weatherwax in Bad Ass, or Old Auntie Ogg-San in Bes Pelargic.
Being a witch is all about harnessing womanly energies and headology, therefore only women can join. Witches cannot change gender.
- Gennie Applebottom in Ankh-Morpork and the other witches that provide a taliswoman can also provide gender-reassigment assistance for males wishing to join the guild.
- Wicked Hannah Morgenstern near Pekan Ford can also help with gender change, but this is more involved, like a quest. The potion doesn't work to change the gender of witches.
Make sure to also check out the newbie chest carrying items donated by other witches.
There is also a witch's hat available on the demon hook in Granny Weatherwax's cottage. You can tickle hook to get the hat.
It is also recommended to look around Granny's furniture for free items you can take.
New witch players should check out the Guide for young witches for tips.
Unique amongst all guilds, the witches guild does not have any subdivisions - all witches are simply 'members of the witches guild'.
Titles and rank
The following titles can be used by witches who ask Granny nicely about them: Aunty, Biddy, Black, Gammer, Goodie, Goody, Gramma, Granny, Mama, Mistress, Mother, Mss, Nanna, Nanny, Old, Sister, Wee, Wicked and Young.
Unlike other guilds, witches do not have ranks based on guild levels. All witches are simply listed as '<player> the Witch'. An indication of a witch's guild level can, however, be determined by looking at her - a witch gains one wart for every 10 guild levels they possess.
As a general rule, witches eschew rank and levels - this is famously exemplified by Granny Weatherwax, who has no warts (despite her best efforts...) and is, in her own words "level one"...
Granny's in charge, and she takes care to ensure everyone knows it. There is no player-based hierarchy or privileges, there are no elections.
Every once in a while are held the Witch Trials, an event where all witches are invited to come and show some tricks they've been preparing. Lately there has been other types of performances like mocks and fruitbat competition.
Witches have a wide variety of guild-specific abilities available to them:
Witches are magic users, capable of casting their own magical spells in similar fashion to the wizards. Witch magic tends to be less combat-oriented than wizard magic: there are a handful of offensive/defensive witch spells and a large selection of miscellaneous spells.
Unlike wizard magic, witch spells can only be cast by witches, although some spells can be imbued into magick crystals which give similar but different effects.
Witches acquire magic spells by asking Granny Weatherwax or Aunty Ogg-San to teach them, or by educing them from small hag stones.
say Teach me please.
- Then say the exact name of the spell With Proper Case.
- If she replies
Too many spells will make your daft head explode!then you need more magic.spells.special, the increase from stat effects counts, or you can forget some other spells or squints.
Witches can also create tricks in large hag stones. Tricks are like spells but more to impress and try to tm. They can be imbued and educed with large hag stones.
Witches can brew a variety of teas or potions, with effects ranging from healing the drinker to curing them of their ailments. Potions are commonly sold by witches to player shops, and form a major portion of most witches' income.
Novice witches may ask one of the following witches for a Taliswoman. This item allows witches up to level 20 to transport themselves between these locations and Granny Weatherwax's Cottage in order to advance their skills, learn commands & Spells, get supplies and generally keep in touch.
- Gennie Applebottom in Ankh-Morpork
- Mum Blithesome in Sto Lat
- Lip-bibh-khin and Khin-bin-lap in the Witch caravan in Djelibeybi
- Mrs Gogol in Genua
Experienced witches have their own special means of transportation, the broomstick, with which they can fly to remembered locations, players and named unique NPCs.
Witches can imbue certain spells into magick crystals. These crystals will then confer benefits similar to (but not necessarily the same as) the spell in question onto whosoever wears them.
Witches can squint at others, causing a variety of effects from damage to encouragement to uncertainty.
The following are the commands available exclusively to members of this guild:
- Brew - make helpful potions with herbs and other natural things
- Circle - create a temporary magic circle - you'll need occult paraphernalia at low skills
- Educe - learn witch spells or tricks from hag stones
- Fade - fade in the foreground
- Forget - remove spells, tricks and squints from your mind
- Gaze - see someone far away - with a vessel, water and ink
- Hedgehog - singing and dancing for everyone!
- Imbue - set witch spells and tricks in hag stones
- Mock - galvanize people through verbal malignancy
- Splint - Brace a broken leg so that it heals over time
- Squint - get your way with ocular mastery
- Squints (really just a part of Squint and learned with it)
- Tempt - force people to eat (not at all poisoned, unless they are) fruits
- Treat - cures animal diseases
Many commands like fade are acquired automagically when increasing some skills.
The squint command is taught by Millie Hopgood in Slice, with methods taught by several witches.
The Hedgehog command is taught by Nanny Ogg at Granny Weatherwax's cottage, but you'll need to loosen her tongue a bit first.
Other commands like circle, gaze or imbue can be learned from Nanny Ogg at Granny Weatherwax's cottage or from Mama Diksha on the heap above Ming Lane in Bes Pelargic.
- It is best to ask once in a while in case you can learn new commands.
- It is unclear if commands learned this way could have appeared on their own when increasing skills and vice versa. research If this has been marked on a page, it's because there was something that probably isn't known, that the person who edited the page thinks could be found out. Perhaps you could figure this thing out, and be famous evermore.
While not a witch only command, bandage can be taught by Gennie Applebottom when someone hurt is in the room.
Witches can also "glare at <fire furniture>" to light it up.
The witches guild is to be found in the witches cottages scattered about the disc. These cottages are generally concentrated in the Ramtops area of the disc; however, there is at least one cottage in most major cities. There are also witches sellings goods or services all over.
The largest and most well-equipped of these cottages is Granny Weatherwax's cottage in Bad Ass.
The back room of Hilta Goatfounder's stall and the cellar of Gennie Applebottom's cottage can only be entered by witches.
The chest at Granny's and the crate at Aunty Ogg-San's allow witches to put and retrieve items that will save on reboots.
All witch spells are taught by Granny Weatherwax in her cottage in Bad Ass and by Aunty Ogg-San in her house in Bes Pelargic.
Jorodin's Magnificent Communicator is an exception: it is a weird spell that can be learned by educing a hag stone sold by Jorodin. It is not taught by Granny.
The following are the spells that can be memorized by members of this guild.
- Banishing of Prying Eyes
- Banishing of Unnatural Urges
- Grammer Scorbic's Household Guard
- Mama Kolydina's Instant Infestation
- Wee Flaudia's Fluffy Ear Muffs
- Banishing of Loquacious Spirits
- Biddy Amble's Bee Buzzer
- Delusions of Grandeur
- Gammer Shorga's Clever Creeper
- Gammer Tumult's Amalgamator
- Goodie Whemper's Apple Divination
- Granny Beedle's Cooperative Credits
- Granny Benedict's Bond of Loyalty
- Granny Lipintense's Layer of Lard
- Hag's Blessing
- Jorodin's Magnificent Communicator
- Mama Blackwing's Potent Preserver
- Mother Harblist's Fruity Flyer
- Mother Twinter's Yarrow Enchantment
- Nanny Revere's Traitorous Talisman
For a table with more information on the spells see witch spells.
Witches can advance their skills anywhere within the locked areas of Granny Weatherwax's cottage (with Lancre money) or in Old Auntie Ogg-San's hut (with Agatean money).
You can advance:
- Primary skills up to level 300;
- Non-primary magic skills up to level 50;
- Faith skills up to level 5;
- All the other skill up to level 10.
The following are the primary skills for witches:
- Broomsticks and fly-tos
- Idlechasing for witches
- Sources of fruit
- Witches' Guild official potion shop
- Giant fruitbats
- Magick crystals
- Witch spell nicknames
- List of witch cottages
- List of witch NPC
- Witch Trials
- Discworld MUD official website: the Witches' Guild
- Gunde's Discworld Site (with focus tea results and trick creation wizard)
- Archived sites
- The Discworld Witches Guild by Rhonda D'Vine (originally Clover Withycombe)
- GrannyMi's Discworld Site
- Caya's Wet Hennes Guide
- Thistle's The New Wet Hennes Guide
- The Witches of Discworld by Aniline Skyblade