The Witch Trials is a festive event traditionally held in Lancre where witches come together to meet each other, have a fun time and most importantly to enter the competition.
Witch Trials of the past
The Trials have been held in the fallow field with Unlucky Charlie the scarecrow in the southeast part of Lancre Town, except for the PTryals that were held in Djelibeybi.
- 15. Witch Trials, 2020-11-28 Organized at first by QiuYan, taken up by Wogh with assistance from LoveJoy at 8 pm GMT.
- 14. Witch Trials, 2017-01-14 Organized by Quadu at 6 pm GMT.
- 13. Witch Trials, 2015-11-07 Organized by Mattias at 3 pm GMT.
- 12. Witch Trials, 2013-12-21 Organized by QiuYan at 10 am GMT.
- 11. Witch Trials, 2012-03-24 Organized by Nyla at 6 pm GMT.
- 10. Witch Trials, 2011-02-12 Organized by QiuYan at 12 pm GMT.
- 9. Witch Trials, 2010-02-27 Organized by Caya at 9 pm GMT.
- 8. Witch Trials, 2008-07-26 Organized by Phoibe 10 am New York time.
- 7. Witch Trials, 2007-12-29 The Djelian Witch PTryals, an event within the celebration held by the djelian magistrates at 20 UTC.
- 6. Witch Trials, 2006-11-11 Organized by Phoibe at 11 pm GMT.
- 5. Witch Trials, 2006-02-04 Organized by Aelyn, Earwax, Fole, Nut, and Tohya at 3 pm GMT.
- 4. Witch Trials, 2005-04-10 Organized by Aelyn, Fole, Slint, and Tohya at 3pm GMT.
- 3. Witch Trials, 2004-09-26 Organized by Wee Morticia Frump at 11 pm GMT.
- 2. Witch Trials, 2003-09-13 Organized by Yavanna Clutterbuck, Gitta Clutterbuck and Jehane Von Bruxa
- 1. Witch Trials, 2001-06-07 Organized by Clover Malace.
The Witch Trials are described in Terry Pratchett's stories:
In The Sea and Little Fishes we witness an unusual Lancre Witch Trials and learn why it is best that Granny Weatherwax always wins.
In A Hat Full of Sky Tiffany comes to the Lancre Witch Trials for the first time and has a very intense experience.
Lancre Trials Field
Located in Lancre Town, it is a field often used to hold the Witch Trials.
[fallow field] | &-&-@ | A lonely-looking scarecrow stands in the middle of a field that has been left fallow this year. It is filled with wild grasses and clover. The grasses are probably wild because of the crop circle in the middle of the field. The south end of the field disappears into Lancre Gorge, and there is a cave entrance to the north. There is an Old Mother Dismass shaped crater in the ground. It is a damn cold spindlewinter's night with slight breezes and medium cloud cover. There are two obvious exits: west and north. Unlucky Charlie is standing here. Old Mother Dismass' crystal ball is wedged into the bottom of a crater.
Several convenient features are present to help host the Trials:
The crystal ball shows you the latest spell cast in the room and Unlucky Charlie can tell you what he saw from the latest spell cast in the room. A sample alias to check those:
alias trials nosoul gaze into crystal ball;nosoul squint research by glancing at charlie;nosoul squint at charlie
The squint research bit may not be necessary, but it prevents your last squint from making the next command fail.
North of the fallow field is the bat cave.
- In the bat cave Albertus feeds the giant fruitbats, allowing for the witches attending the Trials to not have to feed their bats and reducing the noise during the Trials.
- The bat cave is only accessible during Trials, the rest of the time it is blocked by a large barrier.
- Before the bat cave was discovered a wizard was usually persuaded to feed the fruitbats west of the field during the Trials.
[bat cave] @ | -$ This is a your basic bat infested rocky cave. The ground is covered in a thick crust of bat guano, and the smell is quite disgusting. Many small ledges line the walls, providing places for bats to roost. The stone roof of the cave provides more footholds for roosting bats. A chest is nestled against the wall, and a gas lantern hangs from the roof. There is one obvious exit: south. Albertus is standing here. Albertus says: I rather enjoy the company of fruitbats. Albertus is a rather elderly, gaunt looking man. He has short, greying hair which exposes the tips of his ears, and a very calm expression. His eyes seem to be smiling. He is in good shape. He is standing. Wearing : a pair of traditional black formal shoes, a pair of black silk socks, a pair of grey pinstripe suit trousers, a grey pinstripe suit jacket and a stiff black bow-tie. Carrying: a red apple. This is a plain wooden chest with a complex lock. It has something written on it. Assorted Lancre Apples
- The Lancre Witch Trials wiki
- Aniline's A Guide to Making Tricks
- Clover/Rhonda's page on tricks
- Gunde's trick page
- Goodie Whemper's Definitive List of Well Known Tricks on the mud
- Goodie Whemper's Research Notes on the mud
- Keb's Witchin' Notebook has pages on Tricks