From Discworld MUD Wiki
What is your source for this edit?
- hi frazyl, it's not from the books, i thought it would just be a cute way of saying "yes, this mechanic is a pain in the ass"? if you mean "some people" that's me and vuniel (afaik the only two people on the disc who can be bothered with swamp dragons because of this mechanic) talking about it at length for months SamTheMan (talk) 02:35, 26 April 2022 (EDT)
- oh also i talked to pit not long ago and he agreed if it worked as described it was probably broken. SamTheMan (talk) 02:37, 26 April 2022 (EDT)
- I see.
- The imagined quote reads to me like it actually straight up *supports* the pain in the ass mechanic, while you seem to want to imply the *opposite*.
- This might be because the character of Sybil, despite her infatuation with swamp dragons, is otherwise logical, practical and reasonable.
- Might I suggest that whether this was intended as a rhetorical device or a literary technique it could feature another less-reasonable character as saying this is fine while Sybil could be the foil clarifying the intended meaning by stressing the extremeness of that point of view, that only a very few
masochistsextremely dedicated persons could ever live up to those standards or even that despite what Sybil says the authorities might want to check into the versimilitude of this mechanic.
- Like have someone like Nobby or posh rich ladies say it's reasonable and have Sybil correct that it really is a bit much really, possibly alluding to the quickening extinction rate for the species as a whole. Or something.
- --Frazyl (talk) 00:42, 27 April 2022 (EDT)
- i see your point! how about rosie from the sunshine sanctuary? SamTheMan (talk) 08:45, 27 April 2022 (EDT)
- although what i'm anxious not to do is effectively state outright that the system is broken, it might be working as intended. all i want to put across is "most people think this is a bit much". SamTheMan (talk) 08:46, 27 April 2022 (EDT)