Seems to me that it would be good to have a section on this page where people could add in any quotes they want without having to go to the trouble of making their own site or find the email address for submitting to an active one. What do we think? Tiggum 04:47, 7 May 2009 (UTC)
- I like this idea. Menouthis 06:17, 30 November 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah that sounds awesome Ashdug 22:53, 30 November 2009 (UTC)
- Could get a little long and unwieldy, if there are a lot of contributions. Would it be split up into multiple pages if it came to that (kind of like the talk page for the main page)? --Ilde 02:34, 1 December 2009 (UTC)
- Hrm, I'm in two minds on this one.
- On the whole, I like the idea that players can come along and add things such as this as and when they want
- You don't have to wait days/weeks/months for absent maintainers to allow/update things.
- There isn't the potentially awkward social barrier of having to be known to and/or on the good side of a particular player before you can get your contribution added.
- However, a page such as this will inevitably be subject to human nature; and if you'll forgive the thematic presentation...
- Greed, or the 'Hooray, a quotes page! At last, I can place all the things which I said and thought were deeply hilarious somewhere' syndrome. You're going to get at least one person who feels the need to put more or less everything they say up on the page. Even though a lot of it isn't really interesting, or funny. And then everyone else will be irked by the spam, but unwilling to do anything due to any of (a) politeness, (b) worrying this is some deeply clever joke they've just not got, (c) not wanting to enter into the inevitable edit/flame war that a removal would cause, or (d) apathy.
- Pride and Envy. As Ilde points out above, this will probably grow to multiple pages. And it will seem unfair to those who arrive later that they quotes should not be on the first page. So they'll put them there (and if they're really narcissistic, they'll place their quote Right At The Top. Possibly even in their very own section), and after a while someone's going to have to bump someone else off the first page, because that first page is now getting huge. And then there will be anger (see below), because person B thought their quotes were funnier than person A's, and doesn't like them getting relegated to the Second Division.
- Anger. Someone's going to post something that annoys someone else. A humiliating PK death, some cheap putdown on the talker, PK posturing/bragging - you name it, it will happen. And then there will be retaliation, escalation, etc. Variations on the theme include fabricating quotes that didn't actually happen, sockpuppetry and responding in kind.
- Lust. Do you really want to see an entire page full of quotes about nipples?
- Sloth and Gluttony. Yes, yes, alright, there are limits to how far one can stretch metaphors.
- Basically, I'm concerned that we'll see a repeat of what happened with Notable players (yes, I know most of you can't see the page's old content; believe me, it doesn't make for pretty reading), and it will all end in tedium, tears or both.
- --Chat 19:11, 1 December 2009 (UTC)
- I dislike this idea. Menouthis 01:17, 2 December 2009 (UTC)