Talk:Mother Twinter's Yarrow Enchantment
I haven't done anything with it yet, but I had an interesting conversation with cheeky on the talker. She said she can get a 6lb item to 44% with a 375 misc bonus, using a circle. Now, by my calculations that bonus ought to get about 33% (38.75% of 18 thaums = 6, 6/18=33%). Obviously with a circle, this would be more, but to get from 33 to 44 with ~1% per 100 thaum background magic, would require 1000 thaums in the circle, and I doubt that. But, if 100 thaums background was approximately 1 thaum enchanted, then 200+ background magic would give 2 thaums, and 8/18=44%. Chat's research with the wasboard may suggest 1%=100 thaums because the total capacity of the item is 108 thaums. Thoughts? --Philtre 14:19, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
- 6 lb item has a capacity of 18 thaums.
- 375 ma.sp.mi bonus gives an enchantment of 38.75%.
- 375 ma.sp.mi bonus gives maximum circle enchantment of 453 thaums, which is +4.53% @ 1 percent per 100 thaums
- Total enchantment fraction = 38.75 + 4.53 = 43.28%
- If cheeky's getting 44.44%, then that's really not very far out. The key here is that the rounding happens after you've added the enchantment and circle bonuses together, not before :).
- In fact, the numbers quoted for the enchantment percentage were ones I took from a range of 'nice round numbers' within the potential error bounds of the samples. Taking the maximum possible valid fit, you can use 'enchantment = 18.43 + bonus / 17.62', bringing cheeky's result up to 44.24%. I suggest the remaining 0.2% discrepancy is probably additional circle randomness, or possibly the extra thaums cheeky added while casting.
- --Chat 18:29, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
Oh yes of course, I rounded down too soon, fair enough! Thanks Chat --Philtre 00:50, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
Your numbers are a little funky because the washboard actually has 105 max thaums (it might have 104 if it weighs 399 units, but 400 is such a round number). I think that's why your numbers don't match mine. Try enchanting that shield one more cast, and see if you can't get it one thaum higher. The boost from background magic looks pretty accurate. I did a bit of my own research, and things look like they'll be pretty spot on once you account for the 105 max thaums instead of 108. --Kartoffel 23:49, 31 March 2011 (UTC)
- Yes it seems the 46 lb and 45 7/9 lb figures for the washboard's weight in the research page don't match what I got when researching the utensils, the washboard was 44 4/9 lb which would give a 105 thaums maximum with the formula. --Frazyl 03:53, 1 April 2011 (UTC)
Is anyone interested in the skill bonuses required to cast this (or other spells) successfully? Since I am a newbie witch I may be able to provide information as I level up about the chances of casting it. If so, can one of the more experienced researchers give me a guide of what I should record? My witch is called Larandra. --Thistleryver 02:05, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- There's always Andschana's Focus Tea Database where you can submit focus tea results. Maybe contact Andschana for which results are still needed. --Frazyl 02:38, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
Enchantment increase per cast
As far as I know every cast of Mother Twinter's Yarrow Enchantment I did while paying attention has always added exactly one thaum if successful. This of course is a different percentage for different item weights.
The section in the page suggests you can add more than one thaum/sec per cast. Has anyone actually experienced this? --Frazyl 18:56, 27 August 2011 (UTC)
Yes. --Kartoffel 09:20, 27 January 2012 (UTC)