Talk:Imbue

From Discworld MUD Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
> gp
You have 379 (424) guild points.
* You can use 220 (265) for covert commands.
* You can use 241 (286) for crafts commands.
* You can use 214 (259) for faith commands.
* You can use 265 (310) for fighting commands.
* All of your guild points can be used for magic commands.
* You can use 214 (259) for people commands.
* You can use 214 (259) for adventuring commands.
> gbk crystal
You get a large crystal from a pocket in the black backpack.
> imbue clear crystal with Mother Feelbright's Busy Bees
You wrestle Mother Feelbright's Busy Bees into submission and squeeze it into the crystal... and it pops right back out again.
> gp
You have 44 (424) guild points.
* You cannot use any guild points for covert commands until you have more than 159.
* You cannot use any guild points for crafts commands until you have more than 138.
* You cannot use any guild points for faith commands until you have more than 165.
* You cannot use any guild points for fighting commands until you have more than 114.
* All of your guild points can be used for magic commands.
* You cannot use any guild points for people commands until you have more than 165.
* You cannot use any guild points for adventuring commands until you have more than 165.

--Chat 09:38, 28 March 2010 (UTC)

Psst. You're thinking of the wrong spell, our Dirka. I have reverted Chat's change though, because it is wrong. There is no extra cost. We've (Dirka and I) both done a few tries on several different spells. It's hard to be sure from his (Chat's) information, since you can't tell if something else is eating gp, and you can't tell how much is heartbeat regen. So basically it is useless data that has been manipulated, more or less, to support a ridiculous theory. Chat really needs to be sure about his data before he posts. --Kartoffel 13:30, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

It's really not that hard. Please assume I'm not a muppet, and therefore haven't:
  • Cunningly edited the log to remove bits where I entered other spells that ate GP.
  • Been wearing yellow stone rings/dex gloves/etc. the whole time.
  • Been listening while NPCs gabble in a language I'm not fluent in.
This really is the entire log. There's nothing in it accounting for the lost GP, other than imbue. As for heartbeat regen, well the whole sequence is about 5-10 seconds, so about 7-15 GP worth. Its certainly not a huge great big negative number, which it would have to be to account for the extra lost GP.
The theory is hardly ridiculous, given that:
  1. It accounts for the log as presented.
  2. There's a similar concept on disc; see climbing GP costs, for example.
It would have been much more rational (not to mention, polite) for you to try any of the following:
  • Try talking to me before spouting 'Erroneous data AGAIN'.
  • Try changing the article to read 'sometimes consumes 2x GP', seeing as that fits with both our observations.
  • As Revekhor said (and I don't think you've fully grasped), assume good faith. I would suggest this as a good starting point for you to read.
--Chat 17:30, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

PS. If you need some math:

Hp: 2732(2732)  Gp: 465(465)  Xp: 947056  Burden: 36%
> 
Queued command: imbue large crystal with Mother Feelbright's Busy Bees
> 
Queued command: score brief
> 
You wrestle Mother Feelbright's Busy Bees into submission and squeeze it into the crystal... and it pops right back out again.
Hp: 2732(2732)  Gp: 290(465)  Xp: 948371  Burden: 36%

math 465 - 290 - 100 - 75
0.000000

Everything is exactly as expected. --Kartoffel 13:36, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

I'm just confused. Do you say it doubles just sometimes, or every time? I can't make it happen at all. -- Dirka

Did I say it doubled sometimes? I was having trouble getting thing to submit, so I might not have posted what I meant to. I
Well it used to say this: "The GP cost of the relevant spell again if the crystal was successfully imbued with an invalid spell". I haven't seen it happen. How do you make it happen please? Just imbue a spell into a crystal and it pops out. Every time I imbue bees into a large crystal and it pops out, it costs 175gp. So that's why I'm wondering if you see it happen every time. -- Dirka


I think you need to learn something about assuming good faith Kartoffel, otherwise you'll just end up sounding like a massive twat. Rehevkor 13:44, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

I don't see what I'm supposed to "assume". Chat posting something "new and different", and it happened to be wrong. You need to keep your Mud-grudges on the Mud. I am contributing. You should resign as admin if you don't care about the quality of your wiki, and want to discourage people from contributing. --Kartoffel 13:57, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

See? That all just makes you sound like a twat. Rehevkor 14:57, 29 March 2010 (UTC)


According to the example above, you've used 335gp. Could that be 100 + 75 * 3? That's triple the spell cost! -- Dirka

Nah, that would be 325. 335 is 15 less than 2*(100+75)=350, with the 15 probably being what was regenerated. To avoid having heartbeat gp in there you need to be using a client/plugin that keeps track of your gp via mxp variables, and start with full gp (to avoid gp regenerating between looking at your gp and doing the command). --Ilde 23:07, 29 March 2010 (UTC)

Granny said not to be contramacious, however, imbuing only takes 1 tick, so the regen would only be 4gp at most. So I don't know that's for sure. -- Dirka

Imbuing, yes. Typing the commands out, no. --Chat 17:01, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
Please try using semicolons or an alias. Surely you can't be happy with taking up to 10 seconds to type in "gp".

Learnt at level

Nanny Ogg taught me this command along with educe, but I only had 5 levels of talisman.