The city of Sto Lat is situated on the Sto Plains, relatively close to the east of Ankh-Morpork.
Features of Sto Lat
- The woodworking room and forge of the Academy, where you can craft things and get crafting materials
- Cabbages to a terrible degree
- A custom locket shop
- A branch of the Assassins Guild (hint: Mansion)
- Includes lockbox that can be opened with likely 400+ covert.lockpick.traps bonus under the rug of the drawing room
- Wine cellar with bottles of wine
- Includes hidden inhumation office west of the wine cellar
- Assassin guild-related shops
- Hidden entrance (blocked for now) to the Sto Lat sewers, south of the inhumation office
- A temple of Pishe hidden in the middle of Princess Park, for priests (hint: step into fountain)
- Pishe priests can advance their skills here
- A temple shop for Pishe priests is also here
- A waterslide exit from the channel/stream
- A witch cottage
- The Academy of Artificers, the Sto Lat branch of the Wizards Guild
At night, groups of characters (some hidden) roam parts of Sto Lat. These appear to be rather aggressive in nature, reports suggest that a few seconds after a couple of fairly innocuous warning chats, you may be the subject of multiple backstabs from up to five and possibly more npcs.
Crime and Punishment
Things that are illegal here (may be incomplete):
- accessory to murder
- murdering a royal guard
You can also be "such a menace to society that exile was the only option", which means Royal Guards will try to catapult you out of Sto Lat. This shows up on your wanted poster. You can check your status by going to the office on King's Road and "find"ing yourself.
If you're a wanted criminal and you stay in a room with a Royal Guard for too long (a few seconds or so), they will try to arrest you, pursue you, and attack you after a few seconds. You can surrender at any time, this shortens the fighting period. They will try to knock you out, and if they succeed they'll either leave you there, or take you to the catapult.
Once in the catapult, you can attempt to "untie ropes" to release yourself. This uses covert.manipulation.sleight-of-hand.
Being catapulted flings you far out into the surrounding terrains, and appears to do around 150 hp of damage. It also seems to erase your criminal record, at least at low levels of criminality.
Guards may also kill you if they fail to render you unconscious.
While killing shopkeepers can cause problems (see Shopkeeper's Union below), doing so does not add to your criminal record.
Sometimes dogs around a clean/well-dressed child will protect them and attack you if you attack a child, watch out!
Killing shopkeepers in Sto Lat will prompt the Shopkeeper's Union to "sanction" you, causing shopkeepers to deny any services to you for a period of a few hours.
Clearing your criminal record or being catapulted out of town does not cause the Union to forgive your actions. Only time (a few hours) will allow the shopkeepers to reset.