Hypothermia is an affliction players suffer from if they stay too cold for too long.
Players catch hypothermia by being in a sufficiently cold environment (after taking into account the warmth of their clothing) for a long enough time.
The rate of progression of hypothermia is proportional to the difference in the player's current warmth and the 'comfortable temperature' - so the less warming clothing a player is wearing and the colder the environment, the faster the disease progresses.
- Initially, the only effect of hypothermia is to make the player shiver.
- After a while, the player will suffer periodic stat drops (initially -1 strength, and then -1 to both constitution and strength, up to -3 constitution and -4 strength before death), occurring approximately once every four minutes. When this happens, the player receives either the message, "You're so cold you feel your energy being drained," or, later, the message, "You're so cold you feel as though you're about to expire."
- Eventually, the player will suffer death if remaining in a state of hypothermia for too long.
Hypothermia is cured within 20 seconds of entering a sufficiently warm room.
You can tell how far the disease has progressed by looking at the victim:
- <Player> looks a bit cold - shivering only.
- <Player> looks rather cold - shivering only.
- <Player> looks very cold - shivering, stat drops set in half-way through this stage.
- <Player> looks sick from hypothermia - shivering, stat drops.
- <Player> looks close to death from hypothermia - shivering, stat drops, danger.
- Don't stay too long in areas that are insanely cold such as outside the Temple of the Listening Monks, try going inside buildings.
- Bring warm clothes to raise your temperature, and remove cooling clothes.
- Have a priest can perform Warm on you.
- Wear an elegant ring from casting Gillimer's Ring of Temperate Weather to regulate your temperature.
- Have a wizard cast Patient Taming of the Quantum Weather Butterfly to warm the room.