Each church has a High Priest(ess) who is elected by both the followers and the fellow priests of his or her faith. The election process begins only when another priest initiates a schism within the church. All nominees must be at least guild level 150.
|Current High Priests|
High Priests can ‘excommunicate’ the unfaithful, ’absolve’ the sinners of their choice, and are responsible for maintaining their god's pool of Deity Points.
High Priests can also be the victim of a schism created by another priest of their faith.
Invest & Dismiss
High Priests can also nominate up to four priests as ministers, although these individuals do not gain any special powers. These ministers are appointed and removed using the ‘invest’ and ‘dismiss’ commands, respectively.
This is a special command that is only available to a High Priest(ess) . It can change the deity pool settings, get information on who is draining or contributing to the pool the most and on specific players' deity point usage., and alter what rituals the flock can use from rods (and whether worshippers of other deities can use faith rods created by members of the flock).
Settings that high priests can change with Obsecrate:
- Reduce ritual costs - up to 30% of ritual costs can be set to be shouldered by the deity point pool.
- Increase ritual costs by taking tithes - rituals can be made to cost 30% more than usual, with some of the surplus being put back in the deity point pool. This is a more efficient way of converting GP to DP than praying.
- Make rituals easier and better - self-explanatory really, this can chew up a large amount of DP, as it drains DP much more quickly than the "reduce ritual costs" setting. The highest setting, "ten" percent, actually drains one deity point per one GP spent.
- Declare a ritual profane - prevents priests and followers of the same religion from using that ritual from faith rods. While it's possible to declare a ritual naturally granted by your deity profane, it doesn't affect performing the ritual without a faith rod.
- Ban a ritual from another religion - prevents priests and followers of a specific deity from being able to use the specified ritual from faith rods made by priests of your religion. For example, banning Hattites from using Pishite-created rods.
- Declare rituals of another deity unholy - prevents priests and followers of your religion from using any faith rods created by priests of a specific deity.
While only High Priests can use Obsecrate, other priests and followers can ‘meditate on obsecration’ while at their high altar. Doing this will allow you to receive information about the current state of your deity pool, the current rituals considered profane, and your contributions to the pool (or lack thereof). Meditating costs 100 GP, requires a faith.items.scroll skillcheck of at least 160 bonus, and will add 5 DP to the deity pool.