Every worshippable deity has a number of high altars, which have various functions.
Joining a faith
Perhaps most importantly, the high altar of a deity is where you must go to become a priest or a follower. You become a priest by "join"ing in the room with the high altar, and you become a follower by going to the high altar and "pray"ing to the deity whose altar it is.
There are also a few commands that are only available at high altars, or that work differently there.
Meditate has four ways it can be used at a high altar:
- "Meditate" without any arguments will cause you to forget any rituals you know. This works regardless of the high altar you're at.
- "Meditate upon obsecration" can give you information about the deity pool. It can only be used at your own high altar.
- "Meditate on <ritual>" can give you limited information about the ritual you're meditating on, and can tm the skills the ritual uses. It can only be used at your own high altar.
- "Meditate over <object>" can tell you about faith-related aspects of the object you're meditating over, such as consecration, whether it counts as a holy amulet, holy symbol, holy relic, prayer book, or set of prayer beads, and whether it is remembering anywhere. It can only be used at your own high altar.
If you're not a Hattite, there is a negative ritual modifier when at another deity's high altar.
There is a positive ritual modifier if you're reasonably near one of your own high altars--within the same city, or close to the city--and a negative one if you're far from one.
Other uses and points of interest
The high altars are all inside the temples, except for the Pishe altar in the Ramtops.
|Ankh-Morpork: Street of Small Gods west of the Temple of Small Gods||Gapp|
|Ankh-Morpork: Street of Small Gods east of the Temple of Small Gods||Gufnork|
|Ankh-Morpork: Street of Small Gods east of the Temple of Small Gods||Sek|
|Ankh-Morpork: Street of Small Gods and Market Street intersection||Hat|
|Ankh-Morpork: Street of Small Gods near the northeast end||Sandelfon|
|Ankh-Morpork: Pishe Waterpark||Pishe|
|Ankh-Morpork: Cockbill Street near the docks||Fish|
|Bes Pelargic: Top of the temple complex||Pishe|
|Bes Pelargic: Near the top of the temple complex||Gufnork|
|Bes Pelargic: Above the ground floor of the temple complex||Gapp|
|Bes Pelargic: Ground floor of the temple complex||Sandelfon|
|Bes Pelargic: Beneath the ground floor of the temple complex||Fish|
|Bes Pelargic: Near the bottom of the temple complex||Hat|
|Bes Pelargic: Bottom of the temple complex||Sek|
|Bes Pelargic: Shipwreck in Tuna Bay||Fish|
|Djelibeybi: Northwest corner of the city||Sandelfon|
|Djelibeybi: Temple Street||Fish|
|Djelibeybi: Temple Street||Hat|
|Djelibeybi: Temple Street||Sek|
|Djelibeybi: Deity Lane||Gufnork|
|Djelibeybi: Deity Lane||Gapp|
|Ephebe: Petulia Avenue||Pishe|
|Ephebe: Long Avenue||Fish|
|Ephebe: Flatulus Walk||Gapp|
|Genua: Northwest corner of docks||Hat|
|Genua: South end of Darling Road||Gapp|
|Ohulan Cutash: Middle of Sinner's Walk||Gufnork|
|Ohulan Cutash: South end of Sinner's Walk||Sek|
|Ramtops: North of Lancre Town||Pishe|
|Sto Lat: Princess Park||Pishe|
- The Street of Small Gods heads east from its intersection with Short Street, a ways south of the Drum.
- The Pishe Waterpark is just northwest of the Isle of Gods, in the roughly triangular Apothecary Gardens.
- Cockbill Street is near the western edge of the city, south of the river and just west of the Shades.
- The temple complex is at the eastern edge of the city, just north of the river. It is south of the palace.
- The shipwreck is underwater, but the mast sticks up out of the water.
- Temple Street is in the northwest quadrant of the city, connecting Tsort Road and the Avenue of the Pharaohs.
- Deity Lane is a little bit south of Temple Street, connecting Tsort Road and the northwest corner of the bazaar.
- Petulia Avenue is on the east side of the city.
- Long Avenue is on the north side of the Harbour Market.
- Flatulus Walk is on the south side of the Harbour Market.
- The docks are at the eastern edge of the city, in the middle.
- Darling Road heads north from Grim Street at the south edge of the city.
- To get here, journey northeast from Lancre Town, then north, then west, and finally go south four times. This altar is outdoors.
- Princess Park is in the south part of Sto Lat. The high altar may be reached from the fountain in the middle of the temple.