Catching the common cold
You can catch the common cold by being very cold and wet, for an extended period.
Or by interacting with Pewsey at Granny's cottage.
- Sniffling and sneezing, which (apart from being unsightly) will bring a player out of hiding.
- Cause the victim to lose 1 point of strength every 10 minutes, up to a maximum penalty of -6 str. This stat penalty is removed if you raise your body temperature to "very hot", but can return if you cool down again to "rather warm" or below .
Curing the common cold
The Soothing Rain ritual also cures colds.
The cold will also eventually wear off after approximately one hour (roundworld time).
Preventing the common cold
Players can avoid catching the common cold by any of the following:
- Not remaining cold and wet for extended periods.
- Having Granny Lipintense's Layer of Lard cast on them, or wearing a magick crystal imbued with that spell.
- Have a priest perform Warm on you.
- Wear an elegant ring from casting Gillimer's Ring of Temperate Weather to regulate your temperature.
- Have a wizard cast Patient Taming of the Quantum Weather Butterfly to warm the room.