Coffee Nostra families
The Coffee Nostra is a criminal organization in Genua that flourished under the coffee prohibition by providing coffee to those who wanted it at very profitable prices. The prohibition has been lifted, but the power and rivalries of Coffee Nostra factions remained.
Genuan Families - The Coffee Nostra
There are three Coffee Nostra families currently operating in Genua:
- Coeur Lion
Each family can have respect or disrespect for you based on past interactions. To join a family you must have a high enough respect.
The following things are believed to affect your reputation with a family:
- Killing the consigliere of any family causes an extreme amount of disrespect for all the families.
- Killing the named NPCs (except the consigliere) of a family causes a lot of disrespect for that family, but wins respect for the other two families. This is particularly true for killing the godfather.
- Killing a family's henchmen, killing the shopkeepers or shoplifting from shops under their protection causes disrespect for that family but wins the respect of the other families, but to a lesser extent.
- Winning matches in the Kick Consortium wins some respect from the Corolla family and causes disrespect from the other families.
- When a hitman breaks your legs or kills you the family that sent it is somewhat appeased and loses some of the disrespect it has for you. However, if you showed them too much disrespect they might send another hitman soon after.
The consequences of a family disrespecting you too much include in order of escalation:
- The family npcs that are not in hiding call you a "dirty rat" when you enter the room.
- After the visible family npcs call you a "dirty rat", they all attempt to backstab you.
- Coffee Nostra hitmen are employed by families to show their displeasure. Once a family has decided that you've shown them too much disrespect they search for you and once they know where you are the hitman arrives to either beat you up or kill you if they cannot suffer to see you live any longer. If the hitman succeeds it somewhat mollifies the family but with too much disrespect they can send another hitmen very soon afterward, for example when you come back to your corpse after regaining corporeality.
As with regular crime, disrespect reduces with time.
The effects are limited to Genua.
Warning: The jobs page in the above link contains spoilers about the jobs below what is included here.
Jobs or "special favours" are assigned upon request by the Cup 'o' Regime of the family.
You can do them once you've joined a Coffee Nostra family.
They have to be completed within an assigned amount of time (of roundworld hours) and you need to wait 6 roundworld hours after starting one job to be able to do another.
Unlike missions from Agatean families which are tailored to your abilities, these jobs may be rather impossible to do in the allotted time, especially since the Cup 'o' Regimes often get killed for exp as soon as they regen. The jobs can also require obtaining things that might be difficult to procure, like items made by players or sold in limited quantities.
You don't get an update right away when the job is finished if you don't have to give something to the Cup O' Regime to finish it, but if asked about "review" your Cup 'o' Regime will tell you "You're not supposed to be doing anything right now."
Some time after the mission is completed successfully you get some feedback:
- You feel that the experience of working with the Coffee Nostra has made you a somewhat better person.
Promotions and achievements
Promotions are obtained by asking the consigliere, who knows when the Godfather has approved it.
The consigliere suggests that to get a promotion you need three things:
- Enough reputation (possibly a high enough respect from the family)
- Handling yourself well enough with your missions (possibly doing enough normal missions or a high enough success ratio)
- And doing enough 'special' favours for the family (doing enough special missions).
There's also achievements for completing some amounts of missions.
|Missions completed||Rank awarded||Achievement|
|5||goodfella||Achievement: Bugsy's Beginning|
|8||cup 'o' decine|
|11||cup 'o' regime|
|50||Achievement: Rising Racketeer|
|500||Achievement: Grizzled Old Mobster|
|2000||Achievement: One Person Crimewave|
Higher ranks should give you access to a greater range of missions.
After reaching the rank of cup 'o' regime the consigliere says:
I regret to inform you that corporate congestion makes further advancement impossible at this time.
- A family's headquarters is their base of operation in Genua. It is the place where you can join a family, request to do jobs (special favors, missions), ask for loans and gain promotions within a family.
- Families also run various facilities to increase their wealth and power.
- The godfather, also referred to as the Don, is the head and ultimate boss of the family. They stay behind a guarded locked door because each family wants godfathers from other families dead above all other persons.
Cup 'o' Regime
- The Cup 'o' Regime is the second-in-command and handles the day to day operations of the family.
- He's the one to see to join the family.
- He also gives out jobs to get a little extra cash, a little extra life experience, and a little extra reputation in the family.
- The consigliere is a lawyer who is a trusted adviser close to the family, reputedly devoid of ambition and providing disinterested advice. He is neutral, not officially being a member of the criminal organization and can therefore conduct business more easily between families and with civilians.
- The consigliere is the person to see if you want to get a promotion. He is in communication with the godfather and will know if you're ready to climb the ladder of the organisation. Upon request he will bestow a new rank to you if you meet all the criterias.
- The consiglieres should not be killed if you care about your repuration with the Coffee Nostra, because killing them makes all families disrespect you a lot. Unfortunately, they join in fights by backstabbing when their henchpeople get attacked and some block access to the godfather's room, so they are often killed.
- Violence on any consigliere is an attack on their legal front and therefore angers all families, since it is seen as an attack against all Coffee Nostra.
- You can also request "favours" of some kind from their employer by asking the consigliere. This probably goes like "say favour <something> please". It is unclear what the favours are.
- In charge of the finances of the family.
- You can collect what they owe you for services rendered and ask them for loans.
- You can ask for a loan even if you're not in any family, though not if you are in another family. You have to pay back 50% more than what you borrow and how much you can borrow depends on your standing in the family.
Samuel Casso whispers to you with a Genuan accent: Ah, here to collect the 1,9,0,0Gd we owe you? You say: collect Samuel Casso says with a Genuan accent: Sure thing... let me just get what we owe you. You say: loan Samuel Casso asks with a Genuan accent: Yeah, we can help you out. You can borrow money from me. I can't be having with all these weekly interest payments tho', so we'll just add a nice round 50% to the amount you borrow. Call it fifty points on the zig, yeah? Samuel Casso says with a Genuan accent: Since you are an unknown quantity as far as this family goes, I'm willing to extend you credit up to 2,0,0Gf. And not a cent more. Samuel Casso says with a Genuan accent: With your current rank in the family, I'm willing to extend you credit up to 1,0,0,0Gd. And not a cent more.
Protection and symbol
- In some shops you can see symbols on a separate line below the shop description and above the list of obvious exits. It looks like:
A strange symbol has been etched over the entrance.
Only a few shops in Genua have Coffee Nostra protection. They are noted in the table below.
l symbol This is a symbol that marks this location as being under the protection of a Coffee Nostra family. This particular symbol takes the form of a square with a stylised bolt of lightning in the middle.
The symbol indicates which family claims this shop under its protection.
|Info \ Family||Corrola||Coeur Lion||Gumboni|
|Origin||Llamedese, originally bodyguards for the other families||Smugglers from Brindisi|
|Sphere of influence||Extortion, hits, protection, horses and carriages, drugs||Political connections, political protection and political influence||Gambling and chance games, money recovery from too lucky patrons|
|Priorities||Muscles > recruitment||Politics > spy network > muscles||Spy network > muscles > political contacts|
|Headquarters||Honest Joe's Used Horses||Little Brindisi Pizzeria and Cafe||Diamond City Casino|
|Operations||Kick Consortium||Genua Racetrack|
|Cup 'o' Regime (jobs)|
(death angers all)
|Accountant (claim/loan money)|
|Spies||Some of the gentleman?||Some of the gentleman?
|Some of the
(at least the one in front of Albert Dimagio's office at the racetrack)
|Symbol||a flaming sword
a fist with engorged knuckles
a 'K' encircled by a larger 'C'
|a stylised lion
a dagger with three dots above it
a sweeping cloak
|a pot with stylised flashes of lightning striking it
a star with three dots at each point
a square with a stylised bolt of lightning in the middle
|Shops under protection||Shops on Market Street:
(outermost northeast street)
Llamedese crafts store, Stonemasons (Llamedese art)
|Shops on Diamond Crescent:
(innermost southeast street)
elegant accessories store, elegant jewellery store, elegant veil store, elegant dress store, genteel suit store
|Shops on Genua Avenue: |
(centermost west street)
Aunie's General Store, shoe maker's shop, bakery, candy store, toy shop
|Info / Family||Corrola||Coeur Lion||Gumboni|
Coffee Nostra hitman
The families express their deepest displeasure by sending Coffee Nostra hitmen to kill you.
Once a family decides it has enough disrespect for you it dispatches a Coffee Nostra hitman who will start searching for you.
This sometimes happen even if the family henchpeople don't attack and don't call you names.When the Coffee Nostra Hitman locates you he steps out of the shadows and starts combat by backstabbing and pursuing:
A Coffee Nostra hitman steps out of the shadows. The Coffee Nostra hitman attacks you from behind. You recall him standing right in front of you just a second ago. You feel somewhat confused. Catching you off-balance, the Coffee Nostra hitman thrusts at you with his long sword but your floating wok swoops in and absorbs all of the blow. The Coffee Nostra hitman pursues you. The Coffee Nostra hitman says with a Genuan accent: Now it's time to teach you a lesson you won't live to forget, friend.
If you manage to lose the hitman (easily done with a 183 bonus is adventuring.movement.following.evade) and leave the room, the hitman stays there while "searching" for you again and when he finds you he instantly teleports to your location by stepping out of the shadows, backstabbing and pursuing anew. Until then you can return to fight him at your leisure.
It is equipped like this:
A Coffee Nostra hitman This is one of the Coffee Nostra hitmen. Hitmen are a rare and important part in the complex Coffee Nostra machinery. Very few ever attain the skills to make it to this grade; even fewer survive long enough for their name to be known. Suffice it to say, Coffee Nostra hitmen are the troubleshooters - they get called in when everything goes to hell. If there's a hitman cleaning up a nasty mess, then it's going to be cleaned with extreme prejudice. He is slightly hurt. He is standing. Holding : a long sword (left hand) and a no. 7 throwing knife (right hand). Wearing : a pair of black leather shoes, a pair of grey pinstripe suit trousers, a mail hauberk, a dagger scabbard, a knife belt, a short sword scabbard and a silver locket. (under) : a grey pinstripe suit jacket and a pair of black silk socks. The short sword scabbard contains: a short sword. The dagger scabbard contains: a stiletto. The knife belt contains: a no. 10 throwing knife, a no. 9 throwing knife, a no. 8 throwing knife, a no. 6 throwing knife and a no. 5 throwing knife.
The Kick Consortium is an operation organized by Dielar on behalf of the Corrola family.
It is located in the sewers roughly under the genteel suit store on the north end of Diamond Crescent. There are two manholes nearby, one a bit southwest of the store, the other on the docks. Be wary of the alligators in the sewers, they attack on sight, if you leave the room they move to follow and can be very dangerous to fight.
Warning: Fighting in the Kick Consortium will make the Coeur Lion and Gumboni families get a lot of disrespect for you for each fight you take part in. At some point, after about 500 fights, they will send a Coffee Nostra hitman to murder you with extreme prejudice.
To request a fight, you need to say so to Dielar and pay him 10 livres. Then wait a random amount of time until he announces it is your turn. If you don't enter the ring fast enough you'll forfeit the fight and the entry fee. If you win, Dielar will give you 20 livres, a net profit of 10 livres.
It seems you can fight using any weapons, armours or arcane shields without issues. However, any following npcs (and hitmen) will be hauled out of the ring as combat begins.
Your opponent is an npc fighting unarmed without armour whose difficulty is random but that seem to get somewhat stronger as you win more matches. This might reset to easier npcs if you go away and come back later.
If you are losing the fight, you can yield. The rules suggest you can also say stop, but saying or shouting stop doesn't seem to work. Research shows that if your hp goes below 20% of your max hp, the fight is stopped. However this could already be too late if it brought you from above 20% to 0 hp in one hit. Game lag could also possibly introduce a delay in the check potentially resulting in death.
Once you are in the ring you should not leave it for any reason. Leaving the ring before the fight ends makes Dielar stay stuck waiting for you to get in while preventing you from entering the ring again. Going far away until the room regens seems to be the only way to fix this.
The beginning of a fight:
From off the ring, a voice says: The first rule of Kick Consortium is, you do not talk about Kick Consortium. From off the ring, a voice says: The second rule of Kick Consortium is, you do not talk about Kick Consortium. From off the ring, a voice says: The third rule of Kick Consortium, if someone yells stop, goes limp or yields, the fight is over. From off the ring, a voice says: The fourth rule is, only two guys to a fight. From off the ring, a voice says: The fifth rule, only one fight at a time, fellas. From off the ring, a voice says: The sixth rule, no shirts, no shoes. From off the ring, a voice says: The seventh rule, fights will go on as long as they have to. From off the ring, a voice says: And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first night at Kick Consortium, you have to fight. A burly fighter appears from the side of the ring. A bell rings, indicating the fight is to begin. The burly fighter moves aggressively towards you! From off the ring, a voice says: Two people to a fight, fellas. Ablyss the giant fruitbat gets hauled off the ring by a big burly guy.