|This page contains formulae or data from the distribution mudlib. The data has been partially verified as up to date. You can help by filling in research on the topic.|
A player's burden is a measure of how much difficulty they are having carrying things and moving around due to the encumbrance of their inventory.
Your burden is calculated as follows:
- Add up the weight of all items in your possession, in all your containers.
- Worn items count as half their weight.
- Items held in one hand count as twice their weight.
- Items held in two hands count as 1.5x their weight.
- Shields still count as 1x their weight when held.
- Determine your maximum carrying capacity as:
- 8 strength: 77.112 lb
- 9 strength: 85.428 lb
- 10 strength: 94.5 lb
- 11 strength: 104.328 lb
- 12 strength: 114.912 lb
- 13 strength: 126.252 lb
- 14 strength: 138.348 lb
- 15 strength: 151.2 lb
- 16 strength: 164.808 lb
- 17 strength: 179.172 lb
- 18 strength: 194.292 lb
- 19 strength: 210.168 lb
- 20 strength: 226.8 lb
- 21 strength: 244.188 lb
- 22 strength: 262.332 lb
- 23 strength: 281.232 lb
- 24 strength: 300.888 lb
- 25 strength: 321.3 lb
- Divide the first by the second to get your burden level.
Effects of burden
Burden has the following effects:
- 50-74% burden results in a -1 dex penalty.
- 74-99% burden results in a -2 dex penalty.
- 100-124% burden results in a -3 dex penalty.
And so on. It's possible to get up to 200% burden by holding a box containing exactly your maximum burden's worth of weight in it, or (very temporarily) to 400% and higher by wearing very heavy custom armour and then taking severe strength penalties.
Picking up and dropping things
- Your carrying capacity is separate from your burden.
- Since wearing things halves their effect on your burden and holding things doubles it, the point where you're maxed out and can't pick up any more can be anywhere from 50% to 200% depending on how much of your stuff is worn or held.
- You can only take something out or put something into bags and other containers that you're carrying if you've got enough "space" to carry another of it.
- If your carried weight changes such that it exceeds 100% of max (for example, due to a loss of strength), then you will automatically drop items to reduce it below 100% again.
- Burden negatively affects one's 'to-hit' chance with all weapons.
- If fighting unarmed, then there is an additional 'to-hit' penalty from burden.
- Burden negatively affects one's ability to successfully parry or dodge an incoming attack.
- An additional penalty to dodging occurs if your burden is over twice your dexterity stat.
- Burden increases the action point cost of dodging.
The more burden a player has, the more trouble they will have staying afloat while swimming. This can be counteracted somewhat by effects that increase a player's buoyancy, such as being a witch or wearing an aquamarine magick crystal or swim ring.