Weigh is an innate command that gives you a rough estimate of the weight of an item. According to the help file, its accuracy is based on dexterity. If a more accurate weight is needed, it is recommended to use a balance or other weighing device such as the scales at the Djelibeybi post office.
You can generally only weigh one or more items if you are carrying or holding them, but not while wearing them. Weighing multiple items will give the individual weights then total weight.
In a few rooms you can use items to get a more accurate weight.
Heavier items cannot be weighed on the balances and so can only be weighed on the scales with a little less precision.
You can weigh many items at once on a balance or scales, but not worn items. The balance will give the individual weights then the total weight and scales will only give the individual weights.
weigh <item(s)> on <balance/scales>
A balance is a device used for measuring the weight of items with pound (lb) as the unit of mass.
- Balances giving the weight in lb are available in the Ankh-Morpork post office and in the Mayor's office in the Escrow town hall.
- To use the balances, you need to have completed a quest.
- Items heavier than all the weights (above 13 4/9 lb) cannot be weighed on the balance.
- Items with weights not perfectly divisible by 1/9 lb are expressed as a range (e.g. "between 8/9 lb and 1 lb")
- By weighing multiple items having a total weight that is a multiple of 1/9 lb, the exact weight can be determined.
- Note that Discworld uses a slightly lighter pound, equal to exactly 450 grams. 1/9 lb is thus 50 grams.
- The maximum precision is 1/100 of a gram (0.01 gram).
A pair of scales that give the weight in deben are available in the Djelibeybi post office north of the bazaar.
- Each weighing attempt costs 1 talon.
- Using the scales accurately requires people.culture.djelian, a 150 bonus seems enough to always succeed.
- 9 deben equal 2 lb
- Due to the conversion rate, the weights returned by the scales introduce a 1/9 lb margin of error.
- Written on the scales: For the convenience of ignorant foreigners, it is known under the bubble of the Sky Goddess Nesh that two "pounds" of sand weigh nine deben.