Difference between revisions of "User talk:Frazyl"
(→Unified terrains map on wiki)
(→Kefka's fansite: new section)
|Line 242:||Line 242:|
:::Perfect! Absolutely spot on, nice work Frazyl, thanks for managing to make that "work"!
:::Perfect! Absolutely spot on, nice work Frazyl, thanks for managing to make that "work"!
:::[[User:Quow|Quow]] ([[User talk:Quow|talk]]) 06:17, 14 October 2018 (EDT)Quow
:::[[User:Quow|Quow]] ([[User talk:Quow|talk]]) 06:17, 14 October 2018 (EDT)Quow
Revision as of 10:31, 18 November 2018
- 1 Broke Gemcutting Page
- 2 Drakkos
- 3 Email preferences
- 4 Account Deletion
- 5 Mirror and/or backend access
- 6 Pet gallery
- 7 Poisons
- 8 Moonlit Market
- 9 Change Name
- 10 Editing Login page
- 11 Uploading files?
- 12 Formatting Guidelines
- 13 StS season prize
- 14 Wiki Table Sorting
- 15 Delusions Edit Page Issues
- 16 Unified terrains map on wiki
- 17 Kefka's fansite
Broke Gemcutting Page
I seem to have broken the gemcutting page during my last edit. It seems to be similar to the issue Quotid had below:
Editing the page is no longer possible and attempting to "undo" the edit, that supposedly broke the page, results in an MWException. Sorry about that.
Hey hey - I made your change, and it seems to work (you may have to force a refresh for it) - for reference, CSS changes can be made using the MediaWiki:Common.css special page. I don't know what permissions you need to do that, but give that a go if you need to make any amendments. :-D
Thanks, Drakkos 10:10, 31 March 2010 (UTC)
Hey hey - I asked Ilde and Chat about potential new admin for the wiki (since we're down a few), and they suggested you because of your fine wiki work. So I made that so. Without bothering to ask, because that's just how I roll. Any objections, and I'll undo it of corsue. :-D
Drakkos 21:25, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
Hi, I just noticed that it currently it is not possible to view or change the registered mail address that should be associated with my user profile (I would expect it in my preferences). Also, in the past I know I received email notifications if something was added to my user talk page. DoBBiN told me that after my edit of his user talk page he did not receive a notification. Are these changes that are down to the currently installed version, or is that something that could be fixed? --Gunde 19:30, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
Someone asked me in game if I could either delete the account someone has made in their name and create one that was genuinely them, or either reset the pw on it or change the email to their email so they can do a p/w recovery - but I don't seem to have a mechanism for any of those.
I blocked the fake account for the time being, but would be nice to resolve this issue.
- I don't have Pit's email, so I changed the password in the db and mudmailed it.
- There was no email in the account and no edits with it.
- --Frazyl 17:44, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
Mirror and/or backend access
how are your plans for the mirror I set up coming along? Yesterday all day the wiki here was down due to the MySQL server refusing the connection, so how about setting up a cron job that copies all data across to the mirror on a daily basis?
Alternatively, is there a chance anybody else except you gets full access to all required features so they can check and fix problems like the one yesterday?
--Gunde 08:42, 9 December 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Frazyl,
- is there any chance of at least getting a database dump every now and then, for backup purposes, and for at least having a read-only mirror?
- --Gunde 22:42, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
- I must admit, I'd feel a lot happier if we had a working mirror. The eggs were all in one basket with Drakkos, and I've seen other brilliant sites lost because all the eggs were in one basket (the original spellcheck would be a prime example). If nothing else it would be nice to know that there was a backup mechanism in place such that if something happened to Frazyl, it would not mean the loss of the wiki which, after all, represents a lot of time and effort on the part of many players, such that we are merely the custodians nof their work. My worst case scenario would be that Frazyl would suffer some accident or illness and all that we would see would be first, an inability to contact Frazyl, and eventually, the expiry of the hosting and loss of all the data. It would make sense to protect the database against such an occurence. Zexium 19:32, 8 June 2014 (UTC)
Hi Frazyl, I can see you are actively doing something in the wiki again. I hope you read this page as well, could you please comment on the above points by Zexium?
--Gunde 09:04, 9 September 2015 (UTC)
Hi Frazyl, Annabeth told me that I should contact you here. I have an idea for starting a wiki page that would serve as a gallery of players' pets, similar to the MUD client gallery. I need to know whether this is attainable, please.
--Mursi 05:56, 29 October 2016 (UTC)
You mean a page with pictures depicting pets? You can do that yes if you can get people to submit pictures and add them to the page of have them add them. Then just link the pictures in the table (but I can fix that part if it doesn't work right.)
--Frazyl (talk) 22:42, 30 October 2016 (EDT)
Because half the point of the poisons is discovering them for yourself. We don't need the recipes shown to everyone when in game the information is restricted to senior assassins. That book you're quoting from is not available to just anybody for a reference. Sorry, while I'm behind the wiki and the help it provides the simple fact is not everything should be included in it, for instance the specific details of restricted information. Giving solutions for quests is fine because that info is available to everyone in game. Poisons most definitely are not.
I still intensely disagree with the recipes for poisons and bombs being shown on this site. The info is very restricted in game and not available to most players or even newbie assassins. You should NOT persist in adding the recipes to the wiki.
Riannon made a plea on my user talk page to which I have replied.
Some changes should be made. First, 150 tumbling may no longer be a guaranteed safe landing when leaping. I've just failed 5 times in a row where normally I've succeeded. Second, the vendors do change each night. While you may get some the same, there are new ones and it has nothing to do with resets. I know that for a fact
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to change my username without making a new account?
Editing Login page
it seems that I cannot edit the Login page any more. Can you see the reason why?
Hey, sorry to bother you. I'm having trouble trying to upload a PNG file - it's telling me the file is empty even though it shows me the preview? There aren't spaces or anything like that in the filename. Vashti (talk) 18:34, 25 April 2017 (EDT)
Hi! You seem to be one of the head honchos around here and have been helpful to me in the past, so unfortunately for you I'm gonna bug you for a moment. :) My big question is: are there formatting guidelines anywhere? If not and if I wanted to try to put something together like that, what would you recommend regarding naming, categorizing, etc? As a rough example, I was thinking of a page mashing up something like this, specifically the "Page and image formatting" section, and this General Formatting page, as rough examples. I know we're pretty laid back here regarding consistency across the wiki but my thinking is that it might help other people like me who feel more confident in editing with those rough structures to touch back upon.
I've seen some example pages but I haven't seen things about general best practices. Like... should we space twice between sentences? Should section titles have only the first word capitalized or all of them? When formatting text the player enters into the MUD, should it be in "quotes" or in
<code>? I assume the default spelling should be the British version, which I would also note.
I'd also like to make a list of or otherwise draw attention to useful but simple templates (Template:Concepthelp, for example) and add them to a section on this theoretical page or to a highly generic page example. I am still ignorant of many of these templates and sometimes find myself stumbling upon them on older, more established articles after using a clunkier method.
- More questions for you! I see that weapon and armour pages are not using the infobox I'd expect, but the Data template versions, like Template:Armour data, which I think turn the Infobox values into data usable by the automagic tables around the wiki. My question here is that Template:Weapon data documentation transcludes the Example Weapon page while Armour data does not transclude Example Armour... so should I not expand on Example pages because they need to be shortish for transclusion? Or can I poke Weapon data to transclude the infobox/doc instead (may be more useful for those wanting to use the Data template)? I also think the judge-str link might be more helpful to have in the Infobox Weapon document - which might then be transcluded somewhere on the example weapon page. I obviously need some more experienced input before I go poking these things that may have Good Reasons for being :) Sorry that it falls on you.
- You can select which parts of pages is transcluded with the tages noinclude includeonly and onlyinclude. The later two are confusing, so if it doesn't do what you expect try the other one. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Transclusion
- I grew tired of documenting templates that only I change anyway. It's probably more worth it to make better example pages.
- It makes sense to transclude the example pages because that's where the *_data templates are used so they turn into _lines or infobox_ depending on the pagename, but don't worry too much about it.
- My second set of questions are about armour pages. I've been going through the Orphaned Pages recently, such as Bronze muscled cuirass. It had two descriptors for the Layer which ended up looking wonky in the ArmourLayer Category that the infobox generates. Thinking that it might be preventing the armour from showing up in a table or something, I consolidated the two layers into "cuirass", which I saw was a layer descriptor on the Example Armour page. However, when I go to Crested steel helm I see that you've added a second layer on there which makes sense considering the label of Layer(s). Both still seem to be orphaned pages, which (I think?) shouldn't be the case if they're showing up in the automagic wiki tables that populate from the infobox info (they're not). So obviously I was wrong! But I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something that would "fix" this or if they aren't the right kind of armor to show up in the automagic tables and so there's nothing to fix in the first place. Flails awkwardly.
- Fixed so that each layer gets a different category. Pages should be created for each category, maybe just one template that's pasted into each page (so you can update them all at the same time) with some links about layers and armours. That way the links to the layer's category doesn't show as missing (underlined red).
- My last set of questions revolve around categories. First, I see sometimes articles are filed only under the most specific category (let's say: Farmland Terrains) and sometimes they're also filed in every Category that the specific one nests in (Farmland Terrains, Terrains, Locations). Is one way more preferred? Also: Is there a standardized Location terminology/hierarchy on the wiki? According to Pumpkin Town's Starting location, Nations/Kingdoms (ex. Morpork) are the largest umbrella, under which Regions (Sto Plains, A-M) exist. Smaller towns and areas exist within regions (Dinky in Sto Plains, Ankh in A-M). However, I know a lot of articles are more likely to use "Sto Plains" as the big umbrella, or to classify Djelibeybi as part of Klatch instead of as its own nation. I ask because I was going to try to create some of the red pages on Starting Locations and ended up thinking in circles and confusing myself. Finally, there is both a Starting location and Starting locations page. The page with the least amount of information/history has the correct title according to past formatting (ie title = category name) - so should I mark that page for deletion and "move" the page with the comprehensive info to the correct title the deleted page was using? Thanks for reading! -Kymtastic (talk) 17:51, 23 March 2018 (EDT)
- It's not consistent. Unless it seems very relevant for a page to also be in a parent category (sometimes it is!) it should only be in the end category, but I don't care enough to actually go through all the pages to change this.
- In nearly every case a redirect should be made to the more relevant page, unless the name is awful, not likely to be typed and nothing links to it.
- --Frazyl (talk) 21:48, 30 March 2018 (EDT)
StS season prize
I deposited your monetary Sights to See season prize for you on the 16th (right before it would have become void) - I hope you'll be able to collect the parcel before it times out on the 30th.
Wiki Table Sorting
I've noticed recently that sorting in tables doesn't seem to be working e.g. the one in weapons pages like Axes.
- Thanks for the heads up.
- --Frazyl (talk) 20:08, 8 March 2018 (EST)
- Thank you Frazyl. I saw the CSP errors in my browser's dev console but wasn't brave enough to suggest that as the issue :P Quotid (talk) 03:11, 9 March 2018 (EST)
Delusions Edit Page Issues
I made two edits to the page Delusions of Grandeur and must have mucked something up because I can no longer edit it.
Clicking edit on the pampering section but get: Cannot find section You tried to edit a section that does not exist. It may have been moved or deleted while you were viewing the page.
Clicking edit at the top of the page but get: The edit page with no content in the edit box.
Any help you could provide would be much appreciated (and a hint about how I managed to break it so I don't do it again).
Quotid (talk) 04:39, 23 April 2018 (EDT) https://dwwiki.mooo.com/wiki/Delusions_of_Grandeur
- Not sure, the diff was putting the info from this page instead of the Delusions of Grandeur page... Maybe the edit happened at a bad time and wasn't saved. I rolled it back and put the first edit. I can't see what the second edit was, if you can remember what it was and put it back again.
- Try to continue editing and see if anything goes wrong.
- --Frazyl (talk) 14:31, 23 April 2018 (EDT)
Unified terrains map on wiki
Hey Frazyl - My new terrains map I compiled (for the updated plugin) is here;
I tried uploading it as I thought it would be nice to have on the wiki - perhaps linked to on the Terrains pages and similar, but the thumbnail failed to generate for it as it's too large (like 6000x5000 pixels) though FILESIZE wise I've managed to keep it super-small given the circumstances (350 kb or so).
You're welcome to do what you want with it in terms of getting something useful for the wiki. Shrink it, crop it, manually host it and link it, or not bother with it, it's up to you, but consider it a full wiki-donated thingy if you can get it somewhere useful anywhere for people wanting a map of the terrains/to explore the terrains. Sorry I couldn't do it myself! Quow (talk) 19:46, 12 October 2018 (EDT)
- Yes, good job! Wow!
- Unfortunately it unpacks the file to resize it for the thumbnails which uses around 1.4 GB of memory and lots of time.
- For some reason it doesn't seem to keep the thumbnails cached so that's too slow for normal viewing.
- A jpeg file might solve this, but trying to make one even without compression messes up the colors.
- I'm trying to have thumbnails without linking through the File: page, but this is needlessly complicated.
- --Frazyl (talk) 12:30, 13 October 2018 (EDT)
- I found the optimal syntax for displaying the map with thumbnail based on a smaller file, see Terrains at the top and bottom for examples.
- The thumbnails are cached correctly when a user is not logged in, and since I added a smaller version it seems to work fine even when logged in for all use cases except the list of all files (the Bluius map is also enormous) and the File: pages.
- I put the map on a couple of pages, feel free to add to more pages.
- It's fun comparing with the old SUR/RAM/CWC files to spot differences. I kinda wish your map also showed the elevations in the mountains and the Hub, but that's probably harder to do if you need to visit every such room.
- Thanks for making this map available ! :)
- --Frazyl (talk) 17:14, 13 October 2018 (EDT)
A lot of items already have their own page on the wiki, mostly weapons but should probably encourage that more rather than going back the opposite way and discouraging linking to them (to have pages at a later date) maybe?
I know Avicenna is updating the site after Kefka quit but more than one person being able to update stuff has meant that the wiki always has more current info than that old site and it probably shouldn't be relied on so much, it's better for everyone to be able to work together on it all --Sylvie (talk) 10:31, 18 November 2018 (EST)