USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Really good guides for newbies are here:
Many items will be handy in game.
There are so many things to list that perhaps Kefka's itemdb will help you find. Just type in what you’d like to buy, click on the results and it will give you a shop. And a price. And a location.
- How do I know what I need?
Well you may need the following.
- A light source Category:Light_sources
- Warm clothing (hat, pants, trousers, socks, bra, cape... Use your imagination.) available in pumpkin town
- Sturdy shoes (boots, shoes, etc.) available in pumpkin town
- A weapon (pick one and stick with it) available in pumpkin town
- A shield available in pumpkin town
Things you may want
- MAP Kefka's site gives you maps of all the in game areas.
Clients I encourage buying either Zmud or Cmud and downloading the (out of date) map from  and updating it yourself. Its well worth the investment in cmud/zmud. I can’t imagine playing the game without the map. Or the client of your choice.
The Discworld Wiki (this website) gives loads of info, on all items, guilds, spells, rituals, commands, etc.
Guild specific sites. There are other sites. Use an internet search engine of your choice to find them. These links work as of the 09/01/2013.
- http://beam.to/airk out of date, but still excellent
For all other player links.
Thanks for reading and have fun.