A newbie chest is a container in which players can leave items for newbies of the same guild to take out. Newbie chests and their contents are saved over reboots.
Some chests have additional restrictions as to who can remove things.
The newbie chests for assassin guilds are generally smaller than in other guilds or have certain size restrictions on donated items.
There are no age-based or level-based restrictions for players to take out items from the newbie chests.
As well certain assassin guilds like to "hide" their newbie chests in the room description and you need to look in the room description for it.
Only useful items like lockpicks, healing tea, scabbards and weapons should be donated
There is a wardrobe in the dormitory in the Ohulan-Cutash branch which is used as a newbie chest.
The buckets located in some of the poison labs on the third floor of Guild of Assassins guildhouse in Ankh-Morpork can act as newbie chests.
These are rather small and usually have lockpicks and other poison components.
Ninjas have a communal chest in the dormitory upstairs of their guildhouse in Bes Pelargic. It is in the room description so you have to type
It seems like you can not put in weapons larger than a wakizashi in the chest.
The small room has an guild teacher NPC called Kahmilah in it
There is a newbie chest in the boxing area on the second floor of the Mano Rossa guildhouse in Genua
It is in the from of a metal locker, type
look locker when you are in the boxing area as it only shows up in the room description.
The Mano Rossa newbie chest can hold much more items than the average assassin guild newbie chest.
A colourful wooden chest in the Fool's Guide Advancement Area of the Ankh-Morpork Fool's Guild
You can arm or disarm a trap on the chest that can fire things like cream pies
There are size restrictions on the chest, you cannot put in anything that can reach the size of a spear or large shield
In order to take things out of a priest newbie chest, you must be a priest who worships that deity and be under a certain age or guild level (or be a minister of that deity). There is also a limit to how much you can take out at once.
They can be found in the following locations:
- Pishe: the Ankh-Morpork temple, one room up from Tore Kare.
- Gufnork: the Ankh-Morpork temple, one room west from the entrance.
- Gapp: the Ankh-Morpork temple, one room east from the high altar, and the Genua temple, all the way east.
- Sandelfon: the Ankh-Morpork temple, one room north of the shop.
- Fish: the Ankh-Morpork temple, one room north of the shop.
- Hat: the Djelibeybi temple, two rooms north of the entrance.
- Sek: the Djelibeybi temple, in the entrance.
The thief newbie 'box' is in the Thieves' Guild Research Room in the thief-only area of the Ankh-Morpork guild house.
To find it, you go past the thieves only entrance guarded by guard thieves, move west, move up and then move south west.
You can type
look box to see the box.
Unlike chests in many other guilds this one is fairly small.
The Guildmistress ask that only items really useful to a young thief be put in, no torches as they are heavy and can be found for free throughout the guild. Items in the box are carefully monitored and selected. Please do not fence them.
The thief newbie box can not be accessed by thieves older than a day old (24 hours of player age).
If any new thieves need anything, they can contact the monitors, Assistant Guildmaster or the Guildmistress to get items from the box for them.
These items are recommended to be donated to the newbie chest:
There are no age or guild level restrictions on taking out items.
For things you put in the newbie chest however, you can take them out again.
- Unseen University, gymnasium
- Bes Pelargic L-space Bubble, gymnasium.
- Academy of Artificers, top floor, across the hall from the gym.
Good things to be donated should include:
- Wizard Hats
- Common beginner magic components like cured carrots and chicken feathers
- Scrolls - papers with magic spells that can be used to remember
- Large or black backpacks
- Old Staves/Polearms
- Small knives/Daggers/Stilettos
- Swords/Good Newbie Weapons
- Padded monk's robes
There are no age or guild level restrictions on removing items.
Warriors can access newbie chests that belong to another warrior specialisation.
Location of newbie chests
- Ankh-Morpork Palace Guard: Old beer barrel in The Pain in the Neck pub at the Maul.
- Hunters: Old crate in the room west of the smithy.
- Samurai: Chest inside the dojo
- Weapon Masters' Court: Beer barrel in the armoury.
- Djelian Guard: Weapons rack on north side of the Djelian Guard Headquarters
- Klatchian Foreign Legion: Lost-and-found box in the Klatchian Foreign Legion outpost storage tent
- Musketeers: Comfortable-looking window seat located between the first and second floors of the northeastern tower
Good things to be donated: