Every community has its traditions, The Discworld MUD is no different. In fact there are traditions that broach the whole userbase, players and creators alike, as well as traditions specific to individual subgroups.
At least one player's character should be rmplayered by a trustee at each RoundWorld MUDMeet.
All future projects, particularly the ones players are baying for, are to be ready by Thursday. Which particular Thursday is never mentioned until it is in the past and the project is in-game.
Mind the Stairs
Newly recruited creators are usually killed in varied and humorous ways.
Players are not to be killed directly, but simply allowed to kill themselves by making use of your code. Simply making an 'instadeath' thing is no fun, making an 'instadeath' thing and telling the players it's there and letting them kill themselves anyway is fun (c.f. The wall in the netherworld)
Threaten to leave in a drove at the hint of change, but generally stay since it's not so bad after-all once the change happens.
Go PK and say that!
The schedule (boards, channels)
Hmm. We've misplaced our copy, but here's some items that regularly appear on it (see if you can remember some more!):
- Passengers on broomsticks
- Broomsticks to navigate terrains
- Perception tea
- Area spell damage
- EFF to work more like fi.def.*
- Spells vs running target
- Staves with knobs on
- Component pouches (a not-container container for continuous items)
- More powers for seniors / reduce number of elections if they don't matter
- Seniors not "chosen" by gods
- More gods (sometimes replacing gods)
- Offensive uses for whirlwinds or offensive rituals
- Fifteenth primary skills
- Underwater attractions
- Priests not using magic like magic users can't use faith
- Warrior leadership
- Offensive shield specials
- Bows and other ranged weapons effective without poison
- Riding horses, camels, etc.
- Cracking safes (actually back in play!)
- Using quota money
- More npcs to inhume in new special ways
- Not killing without payment / more inhuming
- Recognized as a guild
- Remove restrictions only applied to adventurers
- Lawks Dearie!
- Laugh at people who get lost in L-space.
- Continue to point and laugh with increasing hilarity as the lost wizard initially claims they're in the library and not l-space, then refuses to believe "there's no map", and finally demands that someone come and rescue them.
- Ug! better than Ugh!
- Ugh! better than Ug!
- Leaving interesting items in AM Guild foyer.
- Shearer tossing and nipples.
- Long-standing rivalry with the Assassins' Guild
- Inflict damage, drunkenness or other things on yourself, and then cure it by (ab)using rituals.
- (Ab)use visit excessively. From a baton if necessary.
- Shout Hail [Deity], Greetings from [Deity] or the like when visiting people.
- Insist your deity is the best, and the others are silly (mostly for the sake of Role-Playing)
- Collect involuntary donations from various shops utilizing the shoplift command.
- Frilly (pink) underwear.
- Long-standing rivalry with the Thieves' Guild.
- Pretend that theirs is a real full fledged guild.
- (But it is real! It's all real! - S.de R.)