- This page constains research done by myself, Zuroc and others from the time Klein bottles went in game and was imported from Zuroc's wiki. It needs rewriting and reorganizing in coordination with the Escaped spells page to make it more in line with the other wiki articles.
- --Frazyl 01:41, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
Klein bottles are multidimensionally twisted containers in which matter cannot enter. You can use them to capture escaped spells.
You can capture up to 4 orbs of the same colour in the same klein bottle.
If you open a klein bottle containing escaped spells they will all escape into the room and attack you. If there are other escaped spells in the room they will join in the attack.
Trying to capture small blue lights from Master Woddeley's Luminescent Companion does not work.
It has been hinted that klein bottles filled with energy forms will be used as energy source or component in future spells.
Filled klein bottles used to be a light source but that was removed.
Thrown filled bottles sometimes explode in a fireball but this doesn't seem to deal any damage.
- The largest witch spells take 60 of headspace and produce a "substantial sphere of energy". A fi.me.misc bonus of 201 was enough to capture it.
- More than one of the same colour of spheres/orbs/balls can be captured in one Klein bottle.
- Spheres > orbs > balls - so it seems that you can get a few spheres in a bottle?, 4 orbs, and 7-8 balls?.
- The bottles cost $2.50 and the colour chosen seems to be irrelevant to the final product.
- Alas - "A Klein bottle doesn't seem to contain any of the right power for recharging the oak wand."
- If you cast FCI on the bottle - "The weave is empty: the Klein bottle isn't an artifact."
- Empty bottles have been know to smash when in a sack. (Phials will also break in hessian sacks.
- Unlike tea bottles, Klein bottles will not spill their contents when you are engaged in combat.
- A bottle broke and its contents dissipated on an attempt to squeeze 5 orbs into it. The first 4 orbs were from a cumulative spell size of 140. This also happened trying to add a ball of energy to 4 other balls, each ball being a defensive spell of size 20.
- The Klein bottle weighs 4/9 lb.
- The glowing Klein bottle weighs 4/9 lb. (filled with 4 spheres)
Where to get one
- Glassblowers on Cunning Artificers in AM.
- Raise thaums to about 50-60 then request a bottle.
You read the thaumometer: The background magic level appears to be sixty-three thaums above normal.
> list available colours George says to you: Well, at the moment I have the following colours available: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, brown, black, turquoise, aquamarine, purple, clear, white, octarine, rainbow, lilac, crimson, scarlet, ochre, lime, emerald, sapphire, ruby, rose, pink, peach, amber, onyx, mauve, cherry, cerise, cyan, lavender, plum, umber, cobalt, sienna, olive, translucent, tangerine, jet, clover, ice, pearl, emerald, jade, lemon, apricot, ivory, cream, opaque and dark.
> request bottle made from purple glass You hand some coins to George. George retrieves a glass bulb from the box. George gets to work blowing the glass bulb into a bottle. George puts the bulb into a metal container. George puts the container in the furnace. George waits until the bulb is molten glass. George dips a metal tube into the container. George removes the container from the furnace and allows it to cool a little. George pulls the tube and the glass bulb from the container, but something doesn't look quite right. George holds the tube into the furnace and blows till his cheeks turn red. George forms a big bulbous shape at the end of the tube which distorts the space around it like a fishbowl lens! George works the tube into a bottle shape, all the while it twists and pulls the fabric of the world into itself! George waits for the klein bottle to cool. George hands you the transparent klein bottle. George exclaims: There you go! Thanks! George says: "Funny shape", they say! "Can't put anything in them!" George says: I blame magic from the wizard's tent down the road. George says: "Funny shape", they say! "Can't put anything in them!" George says: Too much background magic, that's it, I reckon.
You read the thaumometer: The background magic level appears to be eleven thaums above normal.
Suitable nets can be purchases from the The O-fish-ial Fishermen's Guild Shoppe in the AM underdocks.
Capturing an orb of energy
- hold net
- hold bottle
- capture sphere in bottle with net
You attempt to capture the substantial sphere of energy. ...start fighting the orb... ...eventually... You capture the substantial sphere of energy in your butterfly net and wrestle it into the Klein bottle.
> bright all The glowing Klein bottle produces a faint light.
> ex bottle This is a mind bendingly paradoxical Klein bottle which has the revolutionary property of not being able to hold anything at all, on account of having no volume. A student discovered the ingeniously intricate shape at the back of a lecture theatre, as he was trying to make a paper giraffe out of thaumic funnel paper. This one, however, has been skillfully blown from glass. Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; a substantial red sphere is zipping around energetically. It produces a warm becon of octarine light. It is in excellent condition. It is closed.
- If you open the bottle, combat begins again.
> appraise net The butterfly net is about two and a half feet long and three inches wide. It is made of wood and could be used as a weapon of type misc. It is in very good condition.
- The above capture was done with fighting.melee.misc of 20/102.
- Two types of sphere do not mix in one bottle:
A substantial sphere of energy is tracing a multicoloured pattern in the air is here. capture sphere in bottle with net The different types of energy don't mix well! Wisps of blue smoke float out of your glowing Klein bottle into the air.
- The Red orb in the bottle vanished and the Multicoloured orb dissipated.
With 4 spheres/orbs in a bottle:
You attempt to capture the substantial sphere of energy Another energy entity just won't fit! Luckily the universe didn't notice.
- The bottles seems to have a maximum of 4 spheres/orbs inside them.
Opening filled bottles
Attempting to drink from a full klein bottle is probably a bad idea. It doesn't work and the energy will escape/dissipate.
One attempt resulted in one of the sphere escaping aggressively while the other dissipated:
> l bottle This is a mind bendingly paradoxical Klein bottle which has the revolutionary property of not being able to hold anything at all, on account of having no volume. A student discovered the ingeniously intricate shape at the back of a lecture theatre, as he was trying to make a paper giraffe out of thaumic funnel paper. This one, however, has been skillfully blown from glass. Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; two substantial red spheres are zipping around energetically. Together they produce a bright octarine sparkle. It is in excellent condition. It is closed.
> sip bottle A substantial sphere of energy escapes from the glowing Klein bottle! The remaining energy escapes from your Klein bottle as wisps of blue smoke. You open the Klein bottle. The Klein bottle is bone dry! The substantial sphere of energy moves aggressively towards you!
- Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; a substantial red sphere is zipping around energetically. It produces a warm becon of octarine light.
- Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; a large red orb is zipping around energetically and a substantial red sphere is zipping around energetically. Together they produce a considerable octarine luminescence.
- Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; two large red orbs are zipping around energetically and a substantial red sphere is zipping around energetically. Together they produce a bright octarine sparkle.
- Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; a substantial red sphere is zipping around energetically and three large red orbs are zipping around energetically. Together they produce a bright octarine sparkle.
Note: new klein bottles filled with energy seem to not produce any light at all. Aquilo's post on the wizard's board implies it will be back at some point.
When you trap a new ball/orb/sphere of energy in a Klein bottle the light level does not increase instantaneously. This might be a bit that's buggy. Once the light produced is in sync with it's content, the bright command gives out one of these:
|Energy inside||Bottle light level||Equivalent light source|
|1 ball||a faint light.||???|
|4 balls||a bit of light.||brightly glowing feather|
|4 spheres||quite a bit of light.||swarm of fireflies, lit torch|
Not quite inside, but within the glass itself; four moderately sized green balls are zipping around energetically. Together they produce a considerable octarine luminescence.
> bright bottle The glowing Klein bottle produces a bit of light.
Klein bottle throwing
Throwing filled klein bottles at your enemies may (or may not) produce a fireball over them. Or the energy inside might dissipate or escape and attack you.
Having a high throw bonus seems to help to get a fireball, but there's not enough data gathered to really know for sure.
The fireball seems to not do any damage at the moment. I expect this to change at some point. Also notice that the effect precedes the action. This might be a Bug or a Feature.
You notice Slick Caraga Kray nearby. The glowing Klein bottle explodes in a fireball over the sad villager. Slick Caraga Kray throws a glowing Klein bottle at the sad villager and hits! Slick Caraga Kray moves aggressively towards the sad villager! A substantial sphere of energy escapes from the glowing Klein bottle! The remaining energy escapes from a glowing Klein bottle as wisps of blue smoke. Dire Zuroc The Mystik throws a glowing Klein bottle at the hairy caterpillar and hits! Dire Zuroc The Mystik dealt the death blow to the hairy caterpillar. The substantial sphere of energy moves aggressively towards Dire Zuroc The Mystik! Dire Zuroc The Mystik holds a glowing Klein bottle in his left hand. Wisps of blue smoke float out of the old peasant's glowing Klein bottle into the air. Dire Zuroc The Mystik throws a glowing Klein bottle at the old peasant and hits!
Announcement post on Wizardsguild
Note #33 by Aquilo at Fri Aug 18 03:12:58 2006 on board wizardsguild Hello! I am dusting off some of my projects and have resolved to polish them off and get them into the game. They have been languishing in a state of ALMOST completion for years now unbelievably. Firstly is a redo of escaped energies. You have to trap them in Klein bottles with nets. This involves entering combat HOLDING the implements. You must have sufficient skill to hit the energy with the net, which will give you a chance of wrestling it into a bottle (if you possess suitable magic skill). Becareful! :) The bottles do a few cools things. But more interestingly the energy they store are required for the coming spells that are awaiting dusting and polishing. Once capturing energies is bedded down, I shall move onto the spells. Note, especially when I start adding the spells, numbers & difficulties of these things might change in order to achieve that which is prophesised in the Good Creator Book; Balance(tm). I shall leave you to find out the rest! :) There might be some bugs or unexpectedness. They were PT'd a couple of years ago and some things have changed. So please send feedback (NB please not intricate feature requests). -- Aquilo The guild coder most of you didn't know you had! From a bottle shop but you must raise the background magic level slightly first I thought the Disc had every shop imaginable. No butterfly collectors/net shops though! To aviod mission creep I decided not to code YET ANOTHER thing which would stop me getting things in the game. So they are in a sort of suitable shop. Interestingly for some reason, the shop ISN'T on the current AM map at [http://www.atuin.net/~derek/am.gif] :P (Other suitable suggestions onna postcard)
Note #50 by Aquilo at Wed Aug 30 02:24:25 2006 on board wizardsguild On Sun Aug 27 00:51:15 2006, Sined wrote: > On Sat Aug 26 19:10:49 2006, Zuroc wrote: > > > The most exciting discovery so far is that they can be made into > > permalights, which naturally can be found for sale in Mystikal Magic on > > Filigree. > > I would strongly advise anyone who thinks they can obtain a perm light for > $10 worth of components to consider very carefully whether they can really > trust that light to be permanent. > > Sined > --
Hmm yes I shall have to make the energy (and thus light) decay, possibly over a scale similar to enchantment.
And look at whether educing should produce energies effectively on demand.
In the mean time I removed their light.
PS Nice wiki! (Aquilo edited this message at Wed Aug 30 02:24:25 2006.)