Hypothermia is a disease players suffer from if they stay too cold for too long.
Players catch hypothermia by being in a sufficiently cold environment (after taking into account the warmth of their clothing) for a long enough time.
The rate of progression of hypothermia is proportional to the difference in the player's current warmth and the 'comfortable temperature' - so the less warming clothing a player is wearing and the colder the environment, the faster the disease progresses.
- Initially, the only effect of hypothermia is to make the player shiver.
- After a while, the player will suffer periodic stat drops (-1 constitution and -1 strength), occuring approximately once every four minutes.
- Eventually, the player will suffer death if remaining in a state of hypothermia for too long.
Hypothermia is cured within 20 seconds of entering a sufficiently warm room.
You can tell how far the disease has progressed by looking at the victim:
- <Player> looks a bit cold - shivering only.
- <Player> looks rather cold - shivering only.
- <Player> looks very cold - shivering, stat drops set in half-way through this stage.
- <Player> appears to be suffering from extreme hypothermia - shivering, stat drops.
- <Player> looks close to death from hypothermia - shivering, stat drops, danger.