Hit points (also known as Health points or just HP) are a measure of a player's vitality. When the player takes damage by any means, they lose hit points. If their hit points fall below zero, they get a visit from he who talks like this.
Maximum hit points
The maximum amount of hit points a player has is mostly controlled by their bonus in adventuring.health. There is also an effect from the player's weight.
To determine a player's maximum hit point total, read off the 'weight factor' from the graph to the right based on the player's weight, and then apply the following formula:
Max HP = floor( (150 + 10 * con + 4 * ad.he bonus) * weight-factor )
Hit point regeneration
The rate at which hitpoints regenerate is controlled by the player's constitution and strength stats, with a stronger emphasis on the former. Specifically, it is:
HP regen per round = rounddown(sqrt(200/9.8 * (4 * ln(con) + ln (str)) - 50) - 10)
Ways to recover hit points
- See also: Category:Healing
Beyond waiting for them to regenerate, players can recover hit points via any of the following means:
- Drink healing tea (restores health over time or blue water (instant boost).
- Eat a chocolate sword or some foods.
- Smell a healing rose (restores health over time).
- Perform any of the following priest rituals:
- Bandage with a strip of cloth.
- Zap with an oak wand.
- Heal with the blade of Soyin.
- Relax in some hot springs or PK combat arena baths.
Players can also use stat items to increase their constitution or strength stats, which may result in an increase in the natural hit point regeneration rate.
Splint can be used when legs are broken to reduce damage done when walking and to mend your legs after some time.
For most horse illnesses you can ask a witch for treat.
Players can view their current and maximum hitpoints via the score command. If the player is in combat or otherwise in most situations where the player takes damage, the monitor will show up detailing their current and maximum hitpoints.
Players can see approximately what fraction of their maximum hitpoints another character has by using the health command, or if grouped with that player, by using 'group status'.
- Discworld concept help: hitpoints
- Discworld concept help: healing_methods
- A hitpoint calculator is also available.