Grflx are thought to be large winged lizard-bird monstrous beasts.
Grflx come in several varieties, most of which attack on sight unless otherwise noted:
- Hunter - can dunk you down into the stream when in the rooms above it if they beat your fighting.unarmed.grappling
- Adolescent - often come in a group of two adolescents with a mentor that follow each other
- Mentor - often come in a group of two adolescents with a mentor that follow each other
- Worker - not aggressive, but joins in fights with other grflx
- Workleader - not aggressive, but joins in fights with other grflx
- Soldier - pursues, attacks giant fruitbats
- Queen - The Grflx, very dangerous, attacks giant fruitbats
- Egg - from nursery, not dangerous, breaks easily
- Baby - hatches from an egg, not aggressive
Their hides can be made into leather armour by the NPC Squinty Jeb in another area more to the south of Skund Forest.
- Only the hide from the queen can be made into a Grflx scale.
Return to the bestiary.
Finding some hidden exits and some rock climbing skills are needed to reach the Grflx cave on foot.
The Grflx caves is a dangerous zone where grflxen will automatically attack trespassers.
The grflxen stay inside their cave.
On the entry level of the cave there are lone hunters, lone adolescents and groups with one mentor and three adolescents.
- While they all use delayed pursue, the mentor groups move one room for each group member in the same direction, even if it takes them past the target they were following or outside the caves.
- They also all wander randomly and can merge into much larger groups, often while you were fighting the first group.
- In some rooms you can go down to a river and grflxen can shove you into it. You can leave back up. The stream of water regularly tries to push you further downstream and makes it very hard to go back upstream without first going back up.
Below the entry level is a relatively safe area with groups of workers following a workleader.
- Getting to this level starts to poison you with more and more noxious gas over time, damaging your health regularly.
- To stop this damage you have to go outdoors, beyond the upper level of the cave. Damage stops once your are outside.
- The intoxication gradually reduces, but if you return before it is gone it will resume the damage.
- The workers and workleaders do not automatically attack, but they join in fights with other grflxen.
- The workleaders delayed pursue and are followed by their worker crew.
- There can be 3+ groups at the same time, more than 10 grflxen, that wander around and join fights.
Past the worker den where the path splits into two tunnels the soldiers start to appear, usually hiding to ambush.
- The soldiers hide, ambush, pursue, delayed pursue and guard the exit in the direction of the upper level. They have better fighting skills than the previous grflxen.
- Sometimes there's two or three soldiers hiding to ambush in the same room.
The two branches lead into one huge cave which is home to the grflx Queen, simply shown as The Grflx.
- The Queen is much tougher to kill than even soldiers, and her corpse is extremely heavy. Just the scales are also extremely heavy.
- There can also be soldiers in the huge cave and with the Queen.
- The hide from the grflx Queen can be made into a Grflx scale if you can extract it from the corpse and bring it to Squinty Jeb.
On the other side of the huge cave is the nursery, composed of a passage leading to nest chambers.
- Eggs can be obtained there, and will eventually hatch into a baby grflx. However these can not be tamed as pets and do not mature.
Grflx caves ground level
______________________________________________________________ / \ | *£*'F-F %-% Legend | | / | ` / \ £ | | *-* *-* %-%-* % *-* / Northeast-southwest exit | | / ¶ | \ | \ | |x| - East-west exit | | v-* C * %-% *-*-*-*-* \ Northwest-southeast exit | | | ¤ / \ | \ / | North-south exit | | * D-* *-P *-* * Room | | \ / \ | / % Room with stream below | | S *-B-*-* ` One-way drop exit | | \ / | ' Climb from stone exit | | *-* F £ Climbing exit | | \ / ¶ Crawling exit | | F-F ¤ One-way crawling exit | | / v Down exit | | ? ? Inaccessible room | \______________________________________________________________/
- P: Pond - The stream pushes you toward this room.
- F: Grflxen-free rooms
- D: High-vaulted cave with a skylight - Going down southwest and west from the giant pine drops you here with broken legs.
- S: Sinkhole - This room is filled with water. You need to swim here and if too heavy you might sink underwater.
- B: Bat roosting cave - Being in this room quickly gets you covered in disgusting and stinky bat guano, this lasts a while.
- C: Collapsed tunnel - This room is so small you cannot stand, only crouch. It has weird verbosely named exits that are not commands, so "syntax" is of no use. To leave you'll need to crawl again first.
- You can "scramble between stalactites" to go north.
- You can "squeeze under boulder" to go south.
____________________________________________________________ / \ | N Legend | | / | | N-* / Northeast-southwest exit | | | - East-west exit | | * \ Northwest-southeast exit | | / \ | North-south exit | | N *-* * Room | | |x|\ ^ Up exit | | *-*-* D Worker den | | \|x| S Start of soldiers tunnels | | *-*-*-* *-*-^ N Nest | | | \ / | | * * D-D | | \ | |x| | | *-* * D-D | | \ | / | | * * * | | \| / | | S-* | \____________________________________________________________/
Return to the bestiary.