Engraving allows you to engrave patterns or text onto items made of metal, wood or glass. The material an item is made of can be identified using appraise.
In order to engrave you will need the following items:
- A graving tool. The tool required depends on the material you want to engrave on:
- If engraving a pattern, a pattern book. Currently available books are:
- To remove engraving from an item, a steel polishing file.
Engraving makes use of the following skills:
- crafts.smithing.black.tools - Used for engraving both text and patterns, as well as polishing off patterns.
- crafts.arts.design - Used for engraving patterns.
- crafts.arts.calligraphy - Used for engraving text.
Engraving an object requires multiple stages; each stage consumes 50 crafts GP.
Polishing an engraving off an object also consumes 50 crafts GP, and will damage the object slightly. For jewellery each polishing action will reduce the value of the item with 15% of its perfect-condition-value.
Adjectives for engraving text
- neatly (the one NPC engravers do)
Various patterns are available; the patterns are of varying difficulty and number of stages. The quality of the pattern is dependent on a test of the engravers crafts.smithing.black.tools bonus against the difficulty of the pattern, and will affect the final displayed engraving. The research tab has details on the quality levels.
The following patterns are available:
|Brass-bound||4||The Academy Seal||6|
|Brass-bound||5||Alchemical Symbol for Gold||3|
|Brass-bound||6||The Tower of Art||6|
|Brass-bound||13||Top Hat & Wand||4|
|Brass-bound||14||Last Order Tools||4|
|Traditional Agatean||1||Autumn Leaves||2|
|Traditional Agatean||3||Auriental Dragon||4|
|Traditional Agatean||4||Bamboo Forest||6|
|Traditional Agatean||5||Pouncing Tiger||4|
|Traditional Agatean||6||Lotus Flower||4|
|Traditional Agatean||7||Koi Carp||3|
|Traditional Agatean||8||Beautiful Butterfly|