Djelibeybi crocodile pit
The crocodile pit is what you will be thrown into if you killed a cat, priest or contractor npc and are caught by a priest. It does not neccessarily have to be a death sentence, but probably will be if you are unprepared. Since priests in Djelibeybi may join fights and you could accidentally kill one of them or perhaps a cat with an AoE-Spell, knowing what exactly may await you for your transgressions before picking a fight in Djelibeybi may save you time, trouble, life and equipment.
The pit itself consists of three rooms:
- A ledge half way between the water of the pit and the desert outside
- The surface of the water inside the pit. This is where you will land.
- The bottom of the pit. This room is underwater! If you do not have the neccessary buoyancy, swimming skills or gills, you will drown!
The crocodile pit did not get its name from its shape and is almost always inhabited. The crocodiles are quite strong and pose a serious risk even to those who can swim wearing armour and holding weapons.
It usually looks something like this:
- A strapping young human criminal is caught by a priest, carried to the pit by an angry mob of priests and thrown in.
- He/she finds himself swimming in the muddy waters of the pit, where many crocodiles move aggressively towards him/her. However, despite his/her best efforts, the criminal is soon being dragged down by the weight of heavy equipment, armour and loot.
- Unable to get a second to think about the best course of action, let alone breathe or cry for help, the criminal panics. Desperate not to drown, the criminal then strips him/herself of anything not worth dying for and makes his/her escape to the surface, where the crocodiles are already waiting.
The way out
Drowning or being eaten may seem like the only options, next to logging off before you die. There are, however, ways to survive the pit and perhaps even keep your equipment:
- Unkeep, remove and drop what are wearing, holding and carrying. Don't worry, you'll most definitely find a kind (and experienced) soul to help you recover it, for now you should be focused on your survival.
- Swim up, if you have already been dragged down
- Climb up. A skill of 25 in ad.mo.cl.roc seems to be more than enough.
- Climb up. From the ledge you are standing on, it is just one more (and even easier) climb up to freedom.
- You are free! However, you are also free of all the dropped equipment. Ask someone with reasonable experience and skills to help you recover them.
You may not have to drop all your equipment in step one, but every bit of burden will decrease your odds at succeeding at swimming and climbing. It is up to you to decide if it is worth the risk. The whole pit is a no-portal zone! So do not waste time and guild points trying to create a portal or using divine hand, it won't work. If you do not have the neccessary swimming or rock climbing skills, you may be able to save yourself anyway, provided you have a few thousand XP to spare. Ask an experienced fellow mudder to join you in the pit and learn the skills from him/her. If you are unsure about what to do, log off and ask for help. You may even find someone who will kill the crocodiles, teach you the neccessary skills and recover your stuff, and if you don't, wait a while and try again.
Remember: Your own panic is the most dangerous beast in the pit!