Description line (item)
An item's description is made up of several lines.
This is a small flat square stone, like a miniature paving stone made from something that makes ordinary cement seem like powdery chalk. Incised on the unfinished side is an elaborate maker's mark that looks beyond the skill of a mortal mason. The stone is pierced by a leather thong, and could be worn as a bracelet by the devout.
If an item is deluded, there will be a line saying what it is, of the form:
<Deluded Name> is a <normal short name of item>.
- Pishe: The <item> radiates a reassuring cyan glow like the sun after rain.
- Gufnork: The <item> gently radiates a fuzzy white glow.
- Gapp: The <item> stylishly radiates a pristine golden light.
- Sandelfon: The <item> indifferently radiates a harsh grey light.
- Fish: The <item> slowly pulsates, washing from a deep blue to a light aquamarine.
- Hat: The <item> sheds an irritating orange glow that makes you feel that someone is creeping up on you.
- Sek: The <item> beats regularly with blood-red pulses of light.
There are various other effects that can be applied to an item. They show up in the order they were applied in--for example, if you perform Light on something, then ward it, the Light line will be before the ward line until the Light ritual runs out. If you perform Light on it again after the first one runs out, the line will then be after the ward line.
|It is glowing brilliantly <colour>.||ritual||Light|
|It is dusted with <type(s) of powder>.||item||powdered rock|
|It has a colourful aura, with flickers of <colour> and <colour>.||ritual||warded|
|It is bathed in a <colour> aura.||ritual||warded|
First, if the item is enchanted, there will be a line showing the level. The normal levels are:
- 1-10%: 'It occasionally pulses with octarine light'
- 11-20%: 'It emits a slight octarine glow'
- 21-30%: 'It softly pulses in dull octarine shades'
- 31-40%: 'It gives off a steady but dull octarine glow'
- 41-50%: 'It gives off a steady octarine glow'
- 51-60%: 'It glows an intense octarine'
- 61-70%: 'It emits a bright octarine colour'
- 71-80%: 'It brightly pulses octarine'
- 81-90%: 'It glows brilliant octarine shades'
- 91-100%: 'It radiates pure octarine brilliance'
- It has a faint octarine shadow about it that disappears if you look at it squarely.
- It has a faint octarine shadow about it.
- It has an octarine shadow about it that flickers occasionally out of the corner of your eye.
- It has a flickering octarine shadow about it.
- It has a flickering octarine haze about it.
- It has the hazy octarine sparkle of a magical talisman.
The last one indicates a full talisman.
Some clothing has pockets. It has a line indicating this:
The <item> has <pocket or pockets>.
If there's anything in it, and it's not closed, there's an additional line showing what's in it.
It is <fullness> with: <item or items>.
If something can be closed--or even sometimes if it can't be--there's a line saying whether it's open or closed. Either:
It is open.
You cannot see inside it. It is closed.
If the item has something written on it, you'll see this line:
It appears to have something written on it.
Most items have a line showing their condition:
It is in <condition> condition.
Not all items have this line, but not having the line doesn't necessarily mean it has no condition and can't be broken (for example, musical instruments can break if held when fighting or, sometimes, in containers).