|Learnt At||Level 20 in magic.spells.special|
|Items Needed||Occult paraphernalia|
Creating a circle
Circle can be performed anywhere where there is solid ground (so not in the middle of the ocean), and where there is sufficient room. It costs 100 gp to perform.
In order to create a circle, a witch must have sufficient amounts of witchy paraphernalia; the command will advise which are missing if the witch does not possess enough such items. The amount of paraphernalia required is dependent on the witch's magic.spells.special bonus - the higher the bonus, the less paraphernalia is required. At a bonus of 280 of this skill, a witch needs only her witches hat; at a bonus of 300+, she needs no paraphernalia at all.
Circles cannot be created whilst a witch is fighting something in the same room. Only one circle may exist at a time in a room, and circles cannot be created inside other circles.
The immediate effect of circle is to create a 'sub-room' within the current room, into which the witch and any followers will automatically be placed upon completion of the command. The circle may be entered from its container room (but see below), and the only exit out of the circle is into the container room, via 'leave circle'.
A circle will last until either of the following occurs:
- An amount of time proportional to the circle's creator's magic.spells.special bonus elapses.
- The circle's creator uses the syntax 'dispel circle' within the circle.
When either of these events occur, the circle fades and all people and items within the circle are transferred to its container room.
Magic circles have the following specific properties relating to background enchantment levels:
- They start with zero background enchantment level, irrespective of the background enchantment level of their parent room.
- Once any magic is cast within the circle, it becomes "charged" (see below). This charge benefits that very same first spell. After this point, the circle always has a randomly fluctuating baseline background magic level, related to the magic.spells.special bonus of the witch that created the circle by the following equation.
baseline enchantment (thaums) = 0.95 * ma.sp.sp bonus - 27.5 + random(0 to 125)
- Background enchantment builds up normally within the circle on top of the fluctuating baseline. So, casting spells increases the average background enchantment level, as (for example) does smashing a thaum bomb within the circle.
- When the circle fades, all thaumic energy built up within it dissipates harmlessly, and does not contribute to the background enchantment level of the container room.
- Mama Kolydina's Instant Infestation - better quality bugs tend to be summoned from within a circle.
- Mother Twinter's Yarrow Enchantment - a higher enchantment level can be reached from within a circle.
Charging and entering a circle
Once a spell has been cast inside a magic circle, that circle becomes 'charged'. The degree of charge then builds up as the background magic level within the circle increases.
Any player wishing to enter a charged circle must pass a check of their intelligence stat against the charge of the circle. One of four results can then occur:
- The player is able to enter unhindered.
- The player is able to enter, but loses some GP in the process.
- The player is prevented from entering.
- The player is prevented from entering, and damaged by a thaumic flash.
Non-pet NPCs will not follow players into a circle, even if they are actively attacking that player.