From Discworld MUD Wiki
Revision as of 19:53, 24 October 2011 by Helia (Talk | contribs) (→Burden calculation: Added exact carrying capacities for all strength levels)
|This page contains formulae or data from the distribution mudlib. The data has been partially verified as up to date. You can help by filling in research on the topic.|
A player's burden is a measure of how much difficulty they are having carrying things and moving around due to the encumbrance of their inventory.
Your burden is calculated as follows:
- Add up the weight of all items in your possession, in all your containers.
- Worn items count as half their weight.
- Items held in one hand count as twice their weight.
- Items held in two hands count as 1.5x their weight.
- Determine your maximum carrying capacity as:
Maximum carrying capacity (lb) = 1.89 * (20 + strength + strength2/5)
- 8 strength: 77.112 lbs
- 9 strength: 85.428 lbs
- 10 strength: 94.5 lbs
- 11 strength: 104.328 lbs
- 12 strength: 114.912 lbs
- 13 strength: 126.252 lbs
- 14 strength: 138.348 lbs
- 15 strength: 151.2 lbs
- 16 strength: 164.808 lbs
- 17 strength: 179.172 lbs
- 18 strength: 194.292 lbs
- 19 strength: 210.168 lbs
- 20 strength: 226.8 lbs
- 21 strength: 244.188 lbs
- 22 strength: 262.332 lbs
- 23 strength: 281.232 lbs
- 24 strength: 300.888 lbs
- 25 strength: 321.3 lbs
- Divide the first by the second to get your burden level.
Effects of burden
Burden has the following effects:
- 50-74% burden results in a -1 dex penalty.
- 74-99% burden results in a -2 dex penalty.
- 100% burden results in a -3 dex penalty.
Picking up and dropping things
- You cannot pick things up if they would cause you to go over 100% burden.
- If your burden changes such that it exceeds 100% (for example, due to a loss of strength), then you will automatically drop items to reduce it below 100% again.
- Burden negatively affects one's 'to-hit' chance with all weapons.
- If fighting unarmed, then there is an additional 'to-hit' penalty from burden.
- Burden negatively affects one's ability to successfully parry or dodge an incoming attack.
- An additional penalty to dodging occurs if your burden is over twice your dexterity stat.
- Burden increases the action point cost of dodging.
The more burden a player has, the more trouble they will have staying afloat while swimming. This can be counteracted somewhat by effects that increase a player's buoyancy, such as being a witch or wearing an aquamarine magick crystal or swim ring.