Black top hat
A black top hat is a hat from which a player can pull various items, mostly as if you were casting a spell.
While carrying the top hat, you can "pull <object> from black top hat".
- To successfully pull an item out of the hat, the player must succeed skill checks in magic.methods.physical.binding, magic.methods.physical.enchanting, magic.methods.mental.charming, and magic.methods.spiritual.conjuring.
- It seems to cost between 25 to 49 gp to per attempt to get something out of the hat, though most attempts appear to be closer to 40 gp, especially if successful.
- Successfully pulling something out of the hat adds 2 thaums to the room. Failing to pull out something does not add thaums though, unlike spell casting.
- When the thaums in the room are high enough you get the same messages about the Dungeon Dimensions as when casting spells.
- Hair falling out (no apparent effect except bring you out of hiding)
- Feeling sleepy and, shortly afterwards, falling unconscious for a two and a half minutes (does drinking coffee before falling asleep help?)
- A feeling of fear and paranoia, which seems to cause the occasional wimpy (leaving the room) effect along with chats.
- Hallucinations of the spell failure variety for a few minutes
- Garlic breath
Most of these are standard spell failures.
Items that can be pulled from the hat
To list all the objects that can be pulled out of the black top hat you can type "list items" while carrying the hat.
|Name||What you pull out||Approximate bonuses that succeeds|
|Hankie||an exquisitely embroidered <colour> silk handkerchief||175|
|Ball||a truly magnificent ivory billiard ball||250|
|Flags||the flags of all nations||?|
|Dove||a white dove||?|
|Rabbit||a pink rabbit||?|
The items lower on the list require higher skills to pull out and cause more failures.
Skills checked to pull something out