Egads! This is a Wiki!
That means that if you have a weapon not listed in the database, you have the POWAH to throw it in! You'll not only help make the database more accurate, but earn the love, respect and adoration of the slavering masses (That is, the players who don't contribute)!
This might seem a daunting prospect, but it's really quite simple. To add a complete article, you'll need the following information:
- The name of the weapon. This is the name of the weapon as it appears in your inventory, or through the glance command.
- The weapon's weight. This can be acquired via the weigh command; accurate figures can be attained on an in-game post office scale.
- The weapon's quality. You can use the judge command to get an idea of this; your bonuses aren't important, since our tables automagically calculate the rating based on your bonuses.
- The weapon's material and measurements. Use the appraise command to get these.
- The long description of the weapon, gained by using the look command.
To expedite the process, you can copy-paste the Wiki code of another, similar weapon, and update all the relevant details. This is quicker and much simpler than starting from a blank page; to make it even EASIER, though, I'll put you through our Patented Basic Tutorial (TM)!
Your Weapon and You
Step 1: Find a New and Undocumented Weapon
Imagine that you find a new weapon- a small wooden shillelagh. It is not in the database, and being a spiffy person, you decide to add it.
Step 2: Determine What it Is
Before you can add a new weapon using an old article's code, you need to know what type of article to rip off. This can be done using the appraise command, and the result should look something like this:
- The small wooden shillelagh is about two feet long and three inches wide. It is made of wood and could be used as a weapon of type mace.
This means that you can use an existing mace-type article as your starting point- we'll use knobbly mace in our example. Open the existing article and click Edit; from there, you can copy and paste the entire code of the entry.
Using the Wiki's search function (on the left-hand sidebar of any article), search for "small wooden shillelagh" (no quotes). Assuming that the shillelagh is not already in the database, you'll see a "No matches" page with a link entitled "Create this page." Click on that link.
Step 3: Something from Nothing Remember when I had you copy the code from the Knobbly mace article? There was a reason! Paste all that code into your new article's text entry box. Now all you have to do is change the details!
Step 4: Devils, Details, Etc Let's start from the top of the article and work our way down- it's not the quickest way to make a new article, but it is by far the easiest to describe.
The first item to change will be the weapon's judge rating. The knobbly mace is "rather good;" let us assume that when you judge the shillelagh, you receive:
- You think that the small wooden shillelagh is an excellent weapon of type mace that can be used to smash and crush."
This means that you should change the "Rather good" text (line 2) to "Excellent." The next entry (line 3) is for your bonus in the skill adventuring.evaluating.weapons; the command "skills ad.ev.we" will give you this number. Remember to use your bonus, not your skill."
Line 4 is the weapon's weight, either accurate (from a scale) or approximate (via the weigh command). Use fractions (halves and ninths).
Line 5 is for the weapon commands, or specials, the weapon supports. Add them with only a space between each entry; if you know how to make each special an internal link, please do so. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
Line 6 is for how many hands you use by default to hold the weapon. "Hold" the weapon to find this number; it will be either a 1 or 2.
Line 7 is the weapon type. Since we used an existing Mace article, this will not change.
Line 11 is for the long description of the weapon. You can copy and paste this from the MUD, or transcribe it by hand.